• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is friction modifier or additive

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
What exactly does the stuff do that it needs to be in a limited slip, does it make the oil more or less slippery and if it makes it less slippery on the clutches how does it know to leave it sippery on the bearings. Kind of like 'how does asprin know where to go when you have a headache :D type of question only more serious...

RichP said:
What exactly does the stuff do that it needs to be in a limited slip, does it make the oil more or less slippery and if it makes it less slippery on the clutches how does it know to leave it sippery on the bearings. Kind of like 'how does asprin know where to go when you have a headache :D type of question only more serious...

I'd imagine it increases friction, since you'd hardly want to reduce the effectiveness of what is already not that effective of a differential :D.

Seriously, the point is so the clutches won't chatter, and logic says to me that means more friction. I don't know if it decreases bearing life, but my guess is it is a minor change that affects the clutches without a material affect elsewhere.

Get a True Trac and you won't have to worry about it.

Nay

Nay said:
I'd imagine it increases friction, since you'd hardly want to reduce the effectiveness of what is already not that effective of a differential :D.

Seriously, the point is so the clutches won't chatter, and logic says to me that means more friction. I don't know if it decreases bearing life, but my guess is it is a minor change that affects the clutches without a material affect elsewhere.

Get a True Trac and you won't have to worry about it.

Nay

I'm getting there, bit by bit but I have a feeling that there is an unlimited in my future...depends on how much this AC costs to get fixed. If it's just the compressor thats OK, but if its that nitemare in the heater box leak this XJ may be history...

It decreases friction and makes it more slippery hence the axle can move without binding. You have to understand how a LSD works. If a wheel spins it applies greater and greater force to the other wheel kinda like a transmission until it moves. The faster the previously non spinning wheel goes the LESS force is transfered to it. Commonly, LSD only put about 80% off the torque applied to them to the wheels. Hope that clears it up. By the way if you dont put the additive in the axle, it works like a locker but the clutches wear out very quick. (about 3-5000 miles)

Rabbit

My question is why do they have to make friction modifier stink so bad? :skull1:

Only way to make it. The process of makin hypoid gear lube and additives is what makes it stink. The newer fric mods dont stink nearly as bad as the older stuff. DC has it for about $6.50 a bottle at the dealer or you can buy it from me for $4.88 per bottle plus shipping! Part# 4318060AB.

Rabbit

Ivan said:
My question is why do they have to make friction modifier stink so bad? :skull1:

Back