• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change the Differential Fluid??

offroadinchick

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone! I am a newbie, and have a question about changing the gear oil in the rear differential. Is there a rear differential gasket? I called around a little to find one, pep boys and what not, and each one said they didnt carry it, but to use a black silicone instead. The gasket maker silicone. Is this right? Also, what kind of gear oil should I use?

Thanks for any help!

: )

Go to the jeep dealer and pick up a tube of RTV Mopar part number 82300234, I prefer a gasket but RTV works fine. Jack up the jeep on stands, loosen all the bolts around the cover, remove all but the two top ones. With a catch bucket underneath pry the cover off, I use a narrow spackle knife. The two bolts on top prevent cover from falling off into your catch bucket and soaking you with lube. If you have a limited slip rear pickup a bottle of the friction modifer, it's about 3 oz or so. Pickup about 2-3 quarts of gear lube, that should do it. Depends on whether it's a D35 or 8.25 chrysler rear. Clean the cover and remove all the old sealant from both the cover and the diff housing. Put one continous bead around the cover making a U at each bolt hole with the bottom of the U on the inside NOT the outside, make the bead between a 1/4 and 1/3 inch wide. Have plenty of rags and some electrosolve cleaner, the kind that dries with no residue and clean the housing out, don't be afraid to use the whole can of cleaner, it won't hurt anything, use the rags to clean it out. Put the cover back on, tighten and pour in the first bottle of lube, add second bottle and as soon as it starts running out the hole it's full. Lower and take it for a drive then bring it back, up on the stands, pop the cover and see where the level is, add more lube as needed. If you need to add the friction modifier add it after the first quart of lube. Thats about it, front works the same cept the filler cap is threaded unlike the 8.25 where it's a rubber plug.

Thank you!!! That is perfect! I guess I should have mentioned I have a 2000 XJ, the axels are still stock. So I can use a silicone then, I dont have to have a gasket, very cool. Do they make gaskets for the 2000 XJ, or is the silicone simply better?

Thank you so much for your help!

The gasket is less messy, I got one from NAPA but just caved in and started using RTV. Never liked RTV, always gave me problems when using it for Tstat housings and other things but it seems OK on the diffs, no leaks. Just had mine off last week when the auburn limited slip went in. Coming of again in a couple of weeks when it gets regeared from 3:07's to 4:10's... This time though I think I'm going to paint it yellow with a smily face :D

LOL! What a great idea! I have to come up with something now.... Maybe the evil grin smiley face, with the raised eyebrow? I love those! Hmmm, really got me thinking now! I could just paint it a really cool color too.....

Thank you for the help Rich!

As this is pretty clear to anyone who has done this before. I want to clarify a statment from RichP.

"Lower and take it for a drive then bring it back, up on the stands, pop the cover and see where the level is"

By pop the cover off after your drive he means the screw plug or rubber plug not the dif cover. This would negate what you just did.

Mike.

MK96XJ said:
As this is pretty clear to anyone who has done this before. I want to clarify a statment from RichP.

"Lower and take it for a drive then bring it back, up on the stands, pop the cover and see where the level is"

By pop the cover off after your drive he means the screw plug or rubber plug not the dif cover. This would negate what you just did.

Mike.

LOL! I know, but good catch!! Had I been having a blonde moment, I would have been rather frusterted!!! LOL!!!

offroadinchick said:
Thank you!!! That is perfect! I guess I should have mentioned I have a 2000 XJ, the axels are still stock. So I can use a silicone then, I dont have to have a gasket, very cool. Do they make gaskets for the 2000 XJ, or is the silicone simply better?

Thank you so much for your help!

Here are the part numbers for Fel-Pro gaskets
Dana 30--RDS-55019
Dana 35--RDS-13089
Chry 8.25-RDS-55047
Auto Zone has them.a little RTV Black,Blue ,grey,or Red to hold the gasket in place.
Any 80w-90 gear lube is OK,I use Valvoline or for the rear 85w-140 synthetic if you tow.
If you have a limited slip unit you have to use the additive.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Here are the part numbers for Fel-Pro gaskets
Dana 30--RDS-55019
Dana 35--RDS-13089
Chry 8.25-RDS-55047
Auto Zone has them.a little RTV Black,Blue ,grey,or Red to hold the gasket in place.
Any 80w-90 gear lube is OK,I use Valvoline or for the rear 85w-140 synthetic if you tow.
If you have a limited slip unit you have to use the additive.
Wayne

Thank you! Pep Boys doesnt have them, and Quadratec takes 2 weeks to get them in, I will call Auto Zone now, thanks! I want to get this down this weekend so I can go out and play again! : )

The only thing pep boys is good for is chrome bling bling and fuzzy dice and seatcovers...they never have anything...

RichP said:
The only thing pep boys is good for is chrome bling bling and fuzzy dice and seatcovers...they never have anything...

YOU are soo right! LOL!! Unfortunately they are really close to me so I always try them first, then Quadratec. I have no idea where i heard this now, but some article was talking about this gawdy Jeep, and they said it looks they they drove through Pep Boys with the Cr*p magnent on!!!! LOL!!! Now I always laugh when I have to go in there!!!

Ok, now this is turning into a quest! Auto Zone just told me that they no longer carry them. So what does everyone think, is the gasket that much better it is worth the search / wait, or is using just the silicone great too?? This is my 2000 Cherokee, DD, and I take it out almost every other weekend on trails now.....

Learn the RTV way, you're not going to have extra gaskets on the trail and believe it or not you WILL eventually have to change diff fluid from one stream crossing too many. Never stop in a water crossing if you can avoid it, the hot lube will draw cold water in thru the seals.

If you want the best of both worlds use a gasket with a thin coating of silicone on EACH side! It will seal better and last longer than just the gasket by itself. I use silicone only as air tools makes taking the old stuff off a snap and I like the superior sealing qualities.

Rabbit

RichP said:
Never stop in a water crossing if you can avoid it, the hot lube will draw cold water in thru the seals.

WIth a gasket seal, Silicone or both??

ryurabbit said:
If you want the best of both worlds use a gasket with a thin coating of silicone on EACH side! It will seal better and last longer than just the gasket by itself. I use silicone only as air tools makes taking the old stuff off a snap and I like the superior sealing qualities.

Rabbit

I was gonna try that, seams like the best idea, but I have been leaking fluid for to long now, and need to get this done. The only place I can find the gasket takes 2 weeks to get in, so I am wondering if it really matters all that much.

offroadinchick said:
WIth a gasket seal, Silicone or both??

No, thru the axle ends if they are submerged in the water, pintle seal too where the driveshaft connects when you are deep enough. Capiliary action causes this. Normal crossings won't bother it but don't park in the water for any length of time.

Just do the RTV thing, it will also get you familiar with this maintenance aspect of it. I've talked to other Jeep owners who have NEVER changed fluids other than engine oil and the occasional anti-freeze change usually coinciding with a bad water pump or thermostat...

Also NAPA stocks felpro stuff, might get lucky if you really want it...

RichP said:
No, thru the axle ends if they are submerged in the water, pintle seal too where the driveshaft connects when you are deep enough. Capiliary action causes this. Normal crossings won't bother it but don't park in the water for any length of time.

Oh man, there goes the trip this weekend! LOL! Just kidding! I have done only shallow water crossings and lots of mud so far, but I really try not to stop! Thanks for the fyi though!

Just do what I did, I took a 3/16 plate and welded it to my diff cover for rock and drain plug protection. Then I drilled a hole in the cover and welded a nut in it. Just drain and refill after every water crossing!

Rabbit

Back