• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRONT dana 44 guru's...help

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
Hey fellas,
I am building a 44 for the front. I need help figuring out if the knuckles I found will work. Heres what I got. I got a complete one with all eight lug stuff already on it, so I am switching it all out to run 5 on 5.5 stuff since I have a rear 44 as well. So, here is what I am planning on getting or already have:
Waggy Housing
Chevy caliper bracket
Chevy calipers
ford hubs and rotors (5 on 5.5)
Warn lockouts
six bolt small bearing spindles
Here is where my tech question comes in. I know that I can get the 73-76 flat tops from a chevy and they will work with the small bearing spindles and all the hubs etc. However, I dont need flat tops as it is my DD and I am only going over teh knuckle. So, can I use the waggy knuckles? They still have the 6 bolt spindle pattern, so could I then just get the small bearing spindles? Or do I HAVE to get flat tops in order to make all this work?
Also, will the "innards" (spindle bolts etc) work from the waggy stuff as well? I know that you can machine down the waggy big bearing spindles to work, so I would assume that all the bolts would work on the smaller bearing spindles as well?
Thanks for your help.
josh

Don't know about big/small bearing spindles, must be 8 lug vs 5 lug. For the years that you're talking, the only difference between the Ford and the Chevy or Waggy is the Ford stub axles are slightly shorter because the Chev/Waggy caliper bracket is thicker, and the bolt patterns. If you're not going to need the flat top knuckles for hy-steer, use everything Ford. Or, use either chev or waggy parts with the Ford hub and rotor. Use the spindle that comes with what ever knuckles you use.

I dont think the ford caliper bracket comes with 6 holes. They all have 5 bolt spindles or eight. So, that is why I need the chev (or FSJ) caliper bracket and calipers. I am almost positive the ford rotors will still work though.
As I understand it, the waggy has the big bearing spindle and will NOT work with the ford hubs becuase it wont fit. So, you have to get a small spindle to be able to run 5 on 5.5 (ford) stuff. Hence, the smaller 6 bolt style spindle. And then the chevy brake parts.
This is all WAY too confusing....anyone else have wisdom on this?

You can use the waggy knuckles with the small bearing spindles. You stated you already have the small bearing spindles, correct?

The chevy and Waggy caliper brackets are interchangable. (I am currently using one of each).

The spindle studs are the same size.

If you decide to go to the flat top knuckles in the future, all you will need to do is swap the knuckles. Evetything else will swap over.

-Jon

You need to use the spindles from a 73-76 GM half ton. I ran this set up for a while on my CJ. I wouldn't machine down the waggy spindles. You could probably trade your leftovers for the small dia spindles.

You got it right Josh.

If you don't want flat tops just get new small bearing spindles and use them with the Waggy knuckles, caliper bracket and caliper.

Sounds like a good plan, this way you only need to find the spindles and ford hubs/rotors.

Thanks for the verification fellas. The whole "you can use ford rotors, but can only use chevy calipers thing" is very confusing. But now I think I got it all. I will hit the yard tomorrw and pull it all out, hopefully get it right. Whew, my brain hurts....

Back