• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear-end whine

HossHoffer

NAXJA Forum User
I got a heck of a whine today while driving to Colo. Springs coming from the rear end ('85 2.5l, 5 speed, dana 35). Pretty loud under load and went away during deceleration. Sounds like a bearing so I assume right now that they are going bad in the axle or pumpkin. Any recommendations for bearings? Anything else it might be?

Timken

That is something you want to have checked out/replaced before it goes. Mine went last May, took out the pinion gears teeth and half the ring gear teeth after I left one of my appointments on the highway. Not a good thing. But at least it gave me the reason to swap the gears out an add a locker. But could save you some money now or pay more later. Timken is the best like Eagle said. Juice

I think I'm going to tear it apart on my next weekend (sun, mon, tues). I'll have to find a new source for bearings since my old source won't give me a discount anymore (new job). I haven't had to do this job for awhile so any tips would be appreciated! :thumbup:

Back