• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need info for Monache Meadows

Scott

Time or mileage? When are you planning on going up there? The fly fishing club I belong towas gonna go up there this weekend but the FS says the gate is still closed and will probably open the weekend of the 23rd. I'd call the FS to make sure. Do a google search, there's a lot of info out there for Monache, including directions.

Stephan

Last edited:
The pavement drive part (well, most of it is paved) from 395 & 9 MCR to the Blackrock Ranger Station is only ~45 minutes, if you know the road. Give yourself an hour or more because they are a few surprise turns to scare you a mile or two after you enter the Forest (if it's ran too fast).

The dirt part of the Monache Jeep trail is north of Blackrock, off the highway down a side road. Without experience driving the trail it takes about an hour to get to Monache Meadow, and another 15 minutes to Bakeoven or to the trail end at the Kern near the Golden Trout Wilderness boundary.

The trail is not too difficult (most years it can be driven in a long wheelbase 2WD), but it does see winter impacts and water in meadows and crossings (making it more difficult early in the season).

Call the Blackrock Ranger station to ask if the trail is open. There are gates, and it is closed seasonally to prevent watershed damage around some of the smaller meadows. They usually open before Memorial Day, depending on the mud.

www.topozone.com can show a map if you enter "Monache", as it's the quad for the area of the meadow. The surrounding quad maps can be linked.

karstic said:
Scott

Time or mileage? When are you planning on going up there? The fly fishing club I belong towas gonna go up there this weekend but the FS says the gate is still closed and will probably open the weekend of the 23rd. I'd call the FS to make sure. Do a google search, there's a lot of info out there for Monache, including directions.

Stephan
Cool thanks for the invite Stephan! Actually I'll be in Ridgecrest this weekend to visit some family, depending on how much we party, I was planning on going up Sunday morning to do some fishing.... (no I don't fly fish.) But is on my agenda to learn some day.

Thanks
Scott

Ed A. Stevens said:
The pavement drive part (well, most of it is paved) from 395 & 9 MCR to the Blackrock Ranger Station is only ~45 minutes, if you know the road. Give yourself an hour or more because they are a few surprise turns to scare you a mile or two after you enter the Forest (if it's ran too fast).

The dirt part of the Monache Jeep trail is north of Blackrock, off the highway down a side road. Without experience driving the trail it takes about an hour to get to Monache Meadow, and another 15 minutes to Bakeoven or to the trail end at the Kern near the Golden Trout Wilderness boundary.

The trail is not too difficult (most years it can be driven in a long wheelbase 2WD), but it does see winter impacts and water in meadows and crossings (making it more difficult early in the season).

Call the Blackrock Ranger station to ask if the trail is open. There are gates, and it is closed seasonally to prevent watershed damage around some of the smaller meadows. They usually open before Memorial Day, depending on the mud.

www.topozone.com can show a map if you enter "Monache", as it's the quad for the area of the meadow. The surrounding quad maps can be linked.

Ed, Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how long the drive was, since I'll be in Ridgecrest this weekend & I wanted to go check it out Sunday morning if not too hung over. But I guess Monache is closed until next weekend. (DOH!) Maybe I'll go check out Kennedy meadows with the family.

Thanks again,
Scott Suyeto

Back