• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powder Coat and Paint?

CutLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any way to paint a powder coated item without totally stripping the metal? Would the chemical bath before chrome plating dissolve the powder coating?

CutLaredo said:
Is there any way to paint a powder coated item without totally stripping the metal? Would the chemical bath before chrome plating dissolve the powder coating?

no, absolutly not.

that process is only a phosphate wash to degrease, it will not remove powdercoat.

only two good ways of removing powdercoat....

what we end up doing is if an item is not a flimsy part, we leave parts to overbake in the oven overnight......if that doesn't work, its shotblast city...........

are you trying to chrome plate something that is powdercoated?

if you just want to go powder color over powdercolor, you can do that......

WAAAYYYY less hassle.

powdercoat over powdercoat is the easiest way of all.

I work in a body shop and have had many differnt brushguard and accessories. I have always scuffed the powder coat surface with 3M pads degreased then base coat and clear. I never had the paint come off unless the powder coat cam with it. I don't know the first thing about chrome plating.
Joe

One of the rattle can companies makes a special paint just to adhere to plastics, don't remember the brand but it's nor rustoleum... Might work better on powdercoat than normal spray paint..

Throw it in a bahn fire, then sand plast......my sandblaster hates powder
coating, always tells me to "burn-it-off" and bring it back!!!

If you have means of flame...flame-it/blast-it!! :smoker:

Sand or Scotchbrite, then use an adhesion promoter, you can buy it in spray can or for paint guns, really makes a difference. For better results use a self etching primer or an epoxy primer depends on how much you want to spend and size of the job

Back