• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Subframe question

Jay3XJ+

NAXJA Forum User
Well first off let me say I am new to NAXJA but i enjoy reading and reading and reading the post. I have read just about everything I can both here and over at PBB about reenforcing the subframe on an XJ. I have been wondering about not reenforing but rather replacing it and not in the manner of just setting the whole XJ frame rails and all on top of a existing factory frame. I am thinking more, albeit not the most practical. of making the XJ no longer a Unibody. This as I could see it could be done in in a couple ways. The first would be a tube buggy and the second would be a more traditonal ladder frame with a cage. What ever happens I would like to retain the basic lines of functionality of the XJ body. Im leaning more toward the ladder style frame.
I know there are pros and cons to doing what i am thining about but id like to see what yall think, if any have done and if there are any pics. I like the idea of having a rolling chasis that can take what ever mod I toss at it later.

I have a 90 Xj that is no longer a DD so im not worried being able to drive it nor am I in a big hurry I just like building crap.
The end goal is a very capable rig with 37s. I am caught in that I want a buggy but like the look and practicallity of an XJ.

Im pretty thick skinned so laugh and tel, me I am crazy if you want.

yeah it can be done. you might have problems with the xj body trying to fold downa nd around the fram. so basicly you want to cut off the frame rails and set what is left ona nother frame like a blazer or bronco??

Bentonedge said:
yeah it can be done. you might have problems with the xj body trying to fold downa nd around the fram. so basicly you want to cut off the frame rails and set what is left ona nother frame like a blazer or bronco??
basically, but more along the lines of a fully boxed hand built frame.

Seems like a lot of work to me. I'm in the process of working on a rear frame brace that will go from frame rail to frame rail right under the rear seat. This should keep the body from flexing some much and should add some much needed strengh. I'll try to get a pic up this weekend of the design. Juice

sell it and buy a yj... i am not trying to be a dick, but this stuff is stupid. i wanted to do this and i wasted a lot of time building my jeep into a buggy. it is such a pita and it would be extremely easy to build something else. just take it into consideration, i wouldn't! i was very thickskinned about it and have regrets... but whatever
do what you want, but it sucks

xj_punk said:
sell it and buy a yj... i am not trying to be a dick, but this stuff is stupid. i wanted to do this and i wasted a lot of time building my jeep into a buggy. it is such a pita and it would be extremely easy to build something else. just take it into consideration, i wouldn't! i was very thickskinned about it and have regrets... but whatever
do what you want, but it sucks
So what were your regrets? What would you do different? I like the XJ platform and the look.

I have a custom built CJ frame laying right next to it and could just as easly build the CJ and will someday, but for now I really like the XJ.

this XJ has a full replacement frame, there was a writeup on the build on a site, but I don't remember where
xj0587.jpg

then there's this one :D
new_0241151.jpg

xj0629.jpg

Jay3XJ+ said:
So what were your regrets? What would you do different? I like the XJ platform and the look.

I have a custom built CJ frame laying right next to it and could just as easly build the CJ and will someday, but for now I really like the XJ.

it is just a lot more work... pita work!! if you like the xj look and platform just build that cj frame to the same wheelbase and then put some xj skins on it. plain and simple!!! no one thinks my rig as a cherokee anymore because all i have is the frontend... cool!!!!

here's a link to pics of my rig... all cut to hell and tubed out.
http://www.imagestation.com/member/...um_id=4287156333&rf=&ru=/album/?id=4287156333

i really wish i just had a bare chassy to start out with. being able to build the cage for just a chassy and flip it over and weld to the bottom would be nice. welding to the unibody is stupid and having to build around things sucks!!! building yours will be harder than mine. i cut the hell out of mine to make it easier to build!!! make sense?

DON'T YOU HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE HAVE ANNOYING ASS SIGNATURES WITH HUGE TEXT?

Perhaps what i might be looking for is sort of like what Greg Gavel did with his XJ. Any one know how I could get a hold of him or perhaps get some detail pics of the underside of his rig especialy the front end.

Im just brain storming

xj_punk said:
it is just a lot more work... pita work!! if you like the xj look and platform just build that cj frame to the same wheelbase and then put some xj skins on it. plain and simple!!! no one thinks my rig as a cherokee anymore because all i have is the frontend... cool!!!!

here's a link to pics of my rig... all cut to hell and tubed out.
http://www.imagestation.com/member/...um_id=4287156333&rf=&ru=/album/?id=4287156333

i really wish i just had a bare chassy to start out with. being able to build the cage for just a chassy and flip it over and weld to the bottom would be nice. welding to the unibody is stupid and having to build around things sucks!!! building yours will be harder than mine. i cut the hell out of mine to make it easier to build!!! make sense?

DON'T YOU HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE HAVE ANNOYING ASS SIGNATURES WITH HUGE TEXT?
pay up and you can have one too :flipoff2:

Back