• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dove tail

Dazz

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have some good dovetail pics of a XJ or MJ? I'm looking to what would be the best way to cut the rear fenders wells.
I'm also considering doving the front hood and fenders also.

A XJ will be a lot harder to dove tail then a MJ. If the back roof is cut of the XJ, then it won't be to hard. If you still have the rear glass and tailgate, it will require lots of fab work. The front, well, I don't think I've ever seen this done. There is not enough room to do this in the front. I'm not saying it's not possible, just hard. Also keep in mind it is a unibody. I don't know if this will weaken the body or not. Just my thoughts..

I think it coould be done with a full toppped XJ. It would be some work but doable. Basicly cut off the rear quater panel under the window then reform it with sheetmetal and dove the coners where the tailights are at, similar to the YJ tubs.

Starboard M said:
A XJ will be a lot harder to dove tail then a MJ. If the back roof is cut of the XJ, then it won't be to hard. If you still have the rear glass and tailgate, it will require lots of fab work. The front, well, I don't think I've ever seen this done. There is not enough room to do this in the front. I'm not saying it's not possible, just hard. Also keep in mind it is a unibody. I don't know if this will weaken the body or not. Just my thoughts..
Not enough room to do the front? look here;

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243624

Seems you remove the headlight area and narrow.

OK, it is possible. I was refering to semi stock XJ/MJ's. There is stuff in the way on stock ones. There is the air filter and battery. I know these can be moved, but would it really be worth it? Ah, don't listen to me. I'm just being stupid :gee:

Back