• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jks installation question

JEEPERCREEPER

NAXJA Forum User
Just ordered my jks swaybar disconnects, installing on an 89 with 4" lift. The links are adjustable. Just how/where is the swaybar positioned? With it "loose" now, I can see where it could be higher or lower, just by where the disconnects are positioned. Is there an spot, relative to the axle or ? where the sway bar should be fixed at? Also...any suggestions/tips for a smooth install? I appreciate your advise!

We put JKS quicker disconnects on the TJ's. It required removing the old factory ones, installing the new JKS's and then drilling a hole in the body/frame and tapping it. Then installing a threaded pin that the disconnects mount to, that keeps the swaybar attached to the disconnected part and out of the way up high. Both TJ's are with the kids at school or I'd snap a pic.

in the directions, it gives a measurment in degrees for the swaybar position...
i think it is like 10-15 degrees above level,
i had spraybombed the wheelwell before i lifted, so i still had an outline of the bar on the wheelwell, where the paint didn't hit...

I put the quicker disconnects on my 89. You are in for an easy install as the mounting pins on our axles unscrew (later models are pressed fittings). Should take you about 30 min to install and like xjhm says the included instructions for sway bar positioning are all you need.

If you have trouble visualizing what degree your sway bar is, prior to taking the old ones off, put a dot of white-out on the inner wheel well at the top and bottom of the current sway bar position. When you put the new one on you can line up the bar between the 2 dots.

Just an added note here. If you removed your rear sway bars, you will find an added degree of road manners if you run your front sway bars at a lower angle. Mine are at about 9*s or so.
After I bent the bejeezers out of one of them (zip ties don't work at holding them out of the way) I hadto shorten them up a bit...and noticed a big improvement on the pavement.
Rick

Back