• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel joints

rngrfrd2000

NAXJA Forum User
i will be doing wheel joints this weekend and was wondering if the abs joints are more heavy duty than non abs joints? i dont have abs but if the abs joints are stronger i will use them...my luck they are bigger and wont fit my non abs shafts but i figured i would ask you guys first before i go to the parts store and look like an idiot.

On the newer XJs they are all the same, but on your '91 the ABS u-joints are stronger. Unfortunately for you, they are stronger because they are larger, so ... don't buy them thinking you've found an easy upgrade. They won't fit. Buy the ones listed for your vehicle.

Eagle said:
On the newer XJs they are all the same, but on your '91 the ABS u-joints are stronger. Unfortunately for you, they are stronger because they are larger, so ... don't buy them thinking you've found an easy upgrade. They won't fit. Buy the ones listed for your vehicle.
Actually AFAIK with a bit of work you can make the larger U-joints fit :D I think it was discussed not too long ago: look on mod tech for a thread that talks about upgrading 260 ujoints to 297 or 760.

Just searched on the terms u-joint 260 297

First thread in the list included the following:
260x caps are roughly 1 1/16" diameter, 297x(and 760x) caps are roughly 1 3/16" diameter
That's my recollection as well. To convert you need the inner and outer shafts with the larger yokes.

Back