• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing the ABS

Stoney

NAXJA Forum User
where is there a write up on accually remnoving the abs system? i don't belive madxj has it on there. i need to know stuff like how to remove the pressure in the abs lines.

thanx
stoney

Stoney said:
where is there a write up on accually remnoving the abs system? i don't belive madxj has it on there. i need to know stuff like how to remove the pressure in the abs lines.

thanx
stoney

Stoney said:

thanx
stoney

Are you having problems with the abs with your ford 8.8 rear axle. I know that can be a pain to work with the tone rings and such. Depending on the year I heard you can simply unplug the fuse and or wire and not have to yank the whole thing. I was having this problem with my 95' se, but then I sold it and bought a built 91' so I never had to tweak the abs. mountainoffroad.com might know something about the ford 8.8 and abs, but they have a disclaimer that the axle will not work with abs, although I know that a modified tone ring is needed.

What year is it? Either way, pulling the fuse is not the way to go. A couple months ago I swapped a 90 xj with abs to a 96 non abs setup. Shoot me a pm if you need some info.
Dustin

I gutted the system on my '98 because I installed a Grand Waggy rear D44 and used the space occupied by the pump to install my ARB compressor. I simply unplugged the harness at the pump, unbolted the pump and lines, and pulled all sensors and wiring out. I replaced the ABS lines with factory bent non abs lines as they were real cheap right from the dealer. I also pulled a relay that activated the ABS light in the dash. If you have a FSM, just peruse the wiring on the ABS to see what is required. I kept the same master cylinder and proportioning valve as I believe they are the same as non abs XJ's. Jeff

no i have have the wires cut on my abs system in the rear for 2 years now with out a problem. i am changing my system over to non abs because 1. ABS is gay 2. MY master cylender went out and it is 300 to buy a new one plus i don't trust the crappy abs system anyways.

its a 91 XJ

i was jsut wondering about removing the system has anyone done it and give me sme info on doing it.

thanx
stoney

My '92 XJ ABS gave me a big pain in the ass by coming on slightly sometimes and causing the brakes to drag. Burnt up a set of front rotors...

I just unplugged both electrical cables at the ABS pump (next to the master cylinder in my XJ). Did this back in January and have had normal braking since.

I'll be swapping out my ABS D35 for a D44 soon and won't miss the ABS at all!

Stoney,

Sorry I didn't read all the above stuff but I did see yours is a '91.

You do not have a master cylinder or booster with your system. You have an Accumulator and Modulator. If you want a Modulator, I have one. Would I recommend it...Hell no.

Ditch the Bendix POS before it kills you!

Read this... http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

If you have any questions let me know. It is not a hard swap.

Bones :skull1:

Back