• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size ram for Hydro Assist

jmop

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I want to get a hydro assist stetup on my XJ. I am trying to figure out what size of ram to run. It seems to me that if you run to large of a ram you will require quite a bit of fluid that will only be provided at a fixed rate. This will slow the steering wheel to the point that if the ram is too large you will not be able to perform fast menuvers on the street.

I am thinking about a 2" bore 1.25" rod. I don't know if that will work. Anyone have any suggestions.

jmop said:
Ok, I want to get a hydro assist stetup on my XJ. I am trying to figure out what size of ram to run. It seems to me that if you run to large of a ram you will require quite a bit of fluid that will only be provided at a fixed rate. This will slow the steering wheel to the point that if the ram is too large you will not be able to perform fast menuvers on the street.

I am thinking about a 2" bore 1.25" rod. I don't know if that will work. Anyone have any suggestions.

I have a 1.5in 3/4in shaft ram, 8in stroke, stock pump. It slows down the steering a little. a 2in 1.25 shaft would be worse...

Here is my tech artical on how to doit and what rams to use:
http://www.wheelingarizona.com/tech/Hydro_info/DIY_HydraulicRamAssist.htm

thanks for posting I have read your threads a couple of times and I was wondering about that. If i have worked out the math correct the 2" bore would have about 175% more volume then the 1.5" bore. So if your steering was slowed down a little the 2" might be a little much.

jmop said:
thanks for posting I have read your threads a couple of times and I was wondering about that. If i have worked out the math correct the 2" bore would have about 175% more volume then the 1.5" bore. So if your steering was slowed down a little the 2" might be a little much.

With the front off the ground on jack stands, motor running, 1.5in ram mounted, If I try to turn very quickly there is a point where you feal resistance, if you turn harder you can go alittle faster.

At high speeds you never need to turn this fast, but when going fast like 35MPH on dirt roads you will feal the resistance, so you cant return to center as fast and cant turn as fast, so I slow down alittle on dirt roads now..

I rather slow down abit, then buy and install a new pump.

have fun.

Back