• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Factory Driving light Questions

Boris T

NAXJA Forum User
I spent some quality time with the owner's manual and it was no help so I checked the fuses under the hood (in the box on the passenger's side of the engine) and they are all good.

My driving lights do not work and wondered if anyone had suggestions? My next step is to see if there is power getting to the switch (light is not on) which makes be believe a fuse is bad. Does anyone have a 98 FSM with the schematic and troubleshooting section? I wonder if the relay would be bad but that does not explain the lack of power at the switch. It would be the power from the switch activate the relay.....

Travis

:geek:

I have a 97 with the factory driving lights. I'll bet it's your switch. I've replaced two of them. Both the switches I replaced still lit up even though they were bad. The second one that I installed lasted about a month. I don't know what is causing them to go bad, but I'll do without. I talked to someone else who had the same problem so I'm wondering if it's common.

That's good info..... do you recall how much the switch was?????? I wondered that too. I might pull the dash apart and wire in another switch to see if it is the problem.

Travis

I went through about 5 switches... finally hard wired it(but the wires decided to melt, guess the switch was acting like a fuse, that's why it was blowing). Believe the stealership was getting in the $25 range.

I put the factory add on fog harness in about 4 years ago and every once in a while I have to pull the hella relay apart and use a burnishing tool on the high current contacts. They get pitted up, takes about 5 min and it's good for another 8 months or so. www.jeepsareus.com also has the switches. I looked at the factory plug thats behind that panel and I use heavier wire between sound card and dvd drives on the PC's than they use between that switch and the relay in the PDC...

RichP said:
I put the factory add on fog harness in about 4 years ago and every once in a while I have to pull the hella relay apart and use a burnishing tool on the high current contacts. They get pitted up, takes about 5 min and it's good for another 8 months or so. www.jeepsareus.com also has the switches. I looked at the factory plug thats behind that panel and I use heavier wire between sound card and dvd drives on the PC's than they use between that switch and the relay in the PDC...

Man... Jeepasaurus is not letting me view the info. Should I just email them directly?

I have a 99 and my switch burnt out also. If you go to the dealer they have an updated switch with a realy all wired that you just plug in. The part # is 5066442-AA. The swith is just over $20.00 and I have not had another problem.
Joe

Boris T said:
Man... Jeepasaurus is not letting me view the info. Should I just email them directly?

Just worked OK for me and I'm using netscape, gee, maybe the optimzed for mozilla and ignored IE [yea, right ] :D

My 98 had the same problem. I took my switch apart and found two problems with it. First, the switch contacts were not making a connection anymore. It was slightly bent, so they could no longer touch. Second, there was a bit of oxidation on the contacts. I just cleaned the switch up and re-bent the contacts so they touch again and it works fine now. No need to buy another switch.

DharmaDog said:
My 98 had the same problem. I took my switch apart and found two problems with it. First, the switch contacts were not making a connection anymore. It was slightly bent, so they could no longer touch. Second, there was a bit of oxidation on the contacts. I just cleaned the switch up and re-bent the contacts so they touch again and it works fine now. No need to buy another switch.

NICE! I will take the suggestion and run with it!

Thanks!
Travis

Back