• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Oil Pressure

Trail-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
well i have a 1990 Xj with 175,000 miles and low oil pressure. in the morning its about 60 then as it warms up it will get to 10-15. should i keep driving it or what should i do? i just put in a High Volume oil pump

The factory service manuals specify the warm oil pressure at idle, and at road speed. The specs are 13 psi minimum at 650 RPM idle, and 37 to 75 psi above 1600 RPM.

Are the numbers you quoted for idle, or at road speed? Also, what brand and weight of oil do you use, synthetic or conventional, and what brand of oil filter?

I'd try dropping it down to 10w30 unless your engine is so badly worn that you need the 20W, thats thick stuff...

If the engine only makes 20 psi on 20W50, it sure isn't going to be any better on 10W30.

The mistake was in confusing "high volume" with "high pressure." At this point, it sounds like time to drop the pan again and replace the rod bearings.

Eagle said:
If the engine only makes 20 psi on 20W50, it sure isn't going to be any better on 10W30.

The mistake was in confusing "high volume" with "high pressure." At this point, it sounds like time to drop the pan again and replace the rod bearings.

Or try a different filter.

Actually, it might be a good idea to cross-check the oil pressure using a known-good mechanical gauge. The electical senders get funky sometimes, and on a 1990 the problem may be a bad sender rather than low pressure.

Back