• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can MJ race?

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Been out of racing for a while at the local circle track where new owners ended the pure stock v-8 class. I had a tough old 76 MOnte carlo that was fun to run and cheap to keep on the track. The next most inexpensive class is the 4 cyl. BOMBER class.

Now that cars been gone for a while and a friend of mine says he's got a MJ that I could have. Its a 2.5 two wheel drive with the 5 speed. Does any one think the 2.5 is tough enough to run at its near its peek torque and horsepower in a race environment. Most other 4 cyl's dont even let off the gas the whole way round. Just a sec in turn 4. I would be rebuilding the 2.5 of course. Are there better after market cranks and rods for these motors. Gotta seem stock. Most guys in this class are cheating their a$$ off. The VW rabbits are lifting the left front tire off the ground in the turns. I'm tired of being the nice guy that follows the rules and can barely manage to finish in the top ten. Could the mj be competative?

I know a MJ isnt the ideal 4 cyl. racer. The s-10s cant handle and just wind up in the wall. But the toyota trucks do well. Need advice. Thanks. T.

Actually, I recently learned that the MJs that dominated the SCCA Craftsman Truck Series (precurser to NASCAR trucks) were all 5 speed, 2wd 4cyl models. Get yourself the Jeep Performance book and soup up that little guy and go hand some people their asses.

XJguy

Alternatively if you don't want to hurt an MJ (they're kinda rare after all) oddly enough a Ford Courier can be made fast. You're going to want to put it on a diet first thing, but the big engine in those is the 2.3 litre four, it's actually a very solid enigne, and there's gobs and gobs of race type parts for it.

2.5s kick butt! Especially if it's an MJ! :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

23965154.jpg

(This particular truck has a 4.0L. I couldn't find the pics of the truck that I know is a 2.5L, sorry. This one's an original from the late 80s though. :D Still being raced!)

The Archer Brothers dominated (sort-of) the SCCA truck racing series in MJ's, the series that preceeded the current NASCAR truck series.

There is a lot of history on these trucks (do a web search). Thier sponsors included Jeep and Rancho (and others).

It should be competitive.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I still have to go secure the truck and see if I can get some of the local clubs and shops to sponsor me a bit. That always helps. There are lots of jeepers in my area so it shouldnt be hard. I have a friend who promised to put a cage in for $400 and a front fender. Does any one know approx where the 2.5 FI motors makes its peak hp and torque. My favorite machine shop does mostly big block chevys for the drag racers. He is skeptical about the 2.5 ability to run 5000-6000 rpm.

If you guys and girls think of any thing else you can remember about little things to make a 2.5 better on a budget with stock appearing parts let me know. Thanks . T.
PS. If I get my grubby little hands on this truck I hope to have it ready and tested by Feb. when the season starts again. Thanks T.

The 2.5L in factory trim makes max torque at 3250 RPM and max horsepower at 5400 RPM. It has hydraulic lifters, so I doubt it'll even get to 6000 RPM, but I don't think I'd set it up to run that high anyway.

You can still get the Mopar Performance cams from the factory, and I know a NAC member near Philadelphia who might be persuaded to part with the Mopar Stage 3 cam he has.

There are only a few left, but if you search ebay for jeep cams, you can find 2.5 stage 2 and 3 cams for 30 dollars.

Tommy and Bobby Archer kicked butt for two consecutive years...even after hit with over 100 lbs of weight to make it more competetive...I believe one year they won every race but one.... I have seen several Mj's running the rally circuit recently...tough fast little truck...I just happen to own one... TBI 2.5 with 4 speed:party:

Back