• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antenna mount suggestions

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 XJ and currently have the CB-mount on the rear bumper.

I plan on buying the C-Rok rear bumper and would like suggestion as to alternative position for the antenna other than the rear bumper.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

Another place to mount is between the hood and the fender drivers side, there is bracket that is similar to a trunk mount for this, bills two way radio has them as well as most CB shops. They even have a fold down model that you can take the antenna off and fold it under the hood when not needed, slick and no holes to drill just two allen screws to secure it to the lip. Tie that in with one of the all in the mike cobra wx75's and you have a nice secure and removable setup..

However if you want the ultimate get a really good bumper like a bullet proof with their swing out tire carrier, they have an option to mount an antenna on the spare tire holder. Thats the $1000 solution :D

RichP said:
Thats the $1000 solution :D
If you want the 23 cent solution, Just drill a mounting hole in your (front or rear) bumper and get the little nylon insulator form any radio outfit and your golden. You want a nice long antenna for this setup.

I went ball mount. Put it here because it's a strong part of the body and so I can watch it out the mirror (keep it off rocks)

big_bear_run_15.jpg

You side ball mount guys just don't wheel enough. I've seen those get ripped right off rubbing up against a rock or a tree.......bad idea.

Go through the roof. It has less chance of smacking someone who is standing there watching you go thru an obstacle, it's higher and could give a little better reception, and the roof is a good ground plane.

Goatman said:
You side ball mount guys just don't wheel enough. I've seen those get ripped right off rubbing up against a rock or a tree.......bad idea.

Go through the roof. It has less chance of smacking someone who is standing there watching you go thru an obstacle, it's higher and could give a little better reception, and the roof is a good ground plane.

Agree, heck I've gotten so good taking off with trees and putting my fender flares back on that when I want to take em off I back up near the edge of the driveway, one tree there is perfect. With a ball mount like that I'd have to attach it with those special bolts I use on my snow blower, the ones that breakaway :D
There are also those of us who resist drilling holes in perfectly good bodies.
Also keep in mind that clubs don't allow big whip antennas on off roading gatherings.

Why don't you just go to radio shack and get a whip with a magnetic base and stick it on the roof? simple, cheap and if you smack something really hard with it the worst thing that happens is your magnet pops off your roof.
highdive.jpg

MuddinXJ said:
i say get one of the side body ball mounts. that what i have and i love it. just make sure to get a spring mount too

Actually... I say.... don't get anything that attaches to the body and sticks out on the side unless you're 100% sure that you will not SNAG it on a rock!!! (don't ask me how I arrived with those words of wisdom)

GSequoia said:
I went ball mount. Put it here because it's a strong part of the body and so I can watch it out the mirror (keep it off rocks)

big_bear_run_15.jpg

Dude... sometimes you just don't have the choice.... I took a not as good a line as I should have and I had no choice but finish it.... and don't even think about saying anything about choosing a better line... cause there is a time for evryone that they will take a bad line and they will knowingly watch their antenna mount get destroyed along with something else in the process (btw... I actually was able to glue my tail light together !! :D)

If it happens...it happens. Maybe I'll get lucky and the silly little plastic base to the ball will just self destruct...

If it rips it out and tweaks the hell out of the body..well..I guess I'll just have to One Ton it.

shizza-my-nizza said:
Why don't you just go to radio shack and get a whip with a magnetic base and stick it on the roof? simple, cheap and if you smack something really hard with it the worst thing that happens is your magnet pops off your roof.
I do use a mag mount, main problem is that with the RS ones I have never been able to get a good SWR out of them and the K40's ??? are way too tall. I have been considering getting a marine/RV non-ground plane and bending up a mount to go on my surco rack for occasional use. Again the problem with that is I carry anywhere from 2-4 fiberglass ladders up there when I do cabling jobs.
Years ago on one of my 66 mustangs I had a RS gutter mount antenna and that worked really well but they have not made them in about 5 years, no luck at flea markets or yard sales yet.
The lip mount that goes on the drivers side is a pretty good compromise, you can actualy use a good antenna and the ability to remove the antenna & base and then fold the mount down inside the engine compartment when not needed is a nice feature. Granted the ground plane for that kind of setup is not ideal. One mounted in the center of the roof is the best place though.

Ok, I don't have any photos, but everyone here should be able to visualize my scheme:

I took a simple stainless whip with the 3/8 threaded base, and hooked it to one of those trucker-style mirror clamp mounts. The mount is calmped on the middle of the rear roof rack crosspiece, which I keep almost as far back as it goes.

I tuned it this way and it worked fine, but on the advice of my father, I added a counterpoise - two lengths of 18ga. hookup wire that connect to the mount, run out to the roof rack runners, and then into the runners themselves for as far along as I could push it in by hand. that gives me two equal length runners running from the center of the rear of the roof out to the sides, and then forward to somewhere over the rear doors. VSWR improved a bit with this in place, and it seems to take low-hanging stuff pretty well - I went under an 8-foot parking garage hanging bar (one of those maximum height things) with the antenna up, and had no problems. Between the flex of the whip and that of the roof rack (OEM), I seem to have found a decent setup.

The coax just runs down and in behind the right tail light.

Rob

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried doing a permanent underhood mount with the antenna base accessible from the gap between the hood and front valance? I've seen a few people running this, but never on an XJ.

casm said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried doing a permanent underhood mount with the antenna base accessible from the gap between the hood and front valance? I've seen a few people running this, but never on an XJ.
Andy Steiner up in Canoga Park is running that and he's pretty happy with it. I'll see if I can find any pictures of his jeep.

Ive seen one XJ with a stock antenna mount moded and instaled on the drivers side just like the normal one on the pasnger side looked clean. have no idea how well it worked it was in a parking lot.

Back