• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

faster power windows??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I tried JU since this seems more like JU tech than anything else, but they weren't any help. So here goes... I like to put my windows down in the summer time, I have AC, but I prefer the windows open. Therefore I put them up and down a lot. Now I've never been happy with how fast the windows are, and I absolutely cannot stand the fact that when I open or close more than one window at a time the whole system bogs down and even the headlights dim. This seems absolutely rediculous to me, my sub can pound its heart out with the hella's and the headlights blazing and I don't get the slightest dimming of the bulbs, but my stupid power windows draw enough to dim them? :dunno: Anyway, what I'm curious about is if it's possible to do a *simple* re-wiring of some sort to speed these up and also maybe swapping out the window motors? I know it's possible to have windows go up and down as fast as I'd like, 'cause my friends exploders all fly up and down. By simple rewiring job, I mean that I don't want to have to run new thicker wire to every door panel etc.

Thanks

Ary

I think you are SOL. The only way I can think of making the windows go faster is either by adding more power (voltage change? bigger alternator?) and/or re-winding the lift motors for more speed.

I know where you are coming from. My old 4 door Sidekick had the most amazing fast electric lifts. My Suzuki Esteem was no slouch either. My Subarus have always sucked for speed - but are powerful. Particularly the time I got my arm stuck in the SVX window (ouch - don't ask).

I don't find the lifts in my XJ (MY01) particularly slow or fast. Adequate I guess. Even when lift/lowering all four at once. They slow of course but are still doing a fair/reasonable clip. The current Sube (Impreza RS) slows to a crawl with both being worked at the same time.

If you had a second battery I wonder if you could break out certain windows for each battery. May help. I'm fairly certain that a larger alternator would help too - load of all windows not affecting the alt as much.

If you find out anything please let us know. It's something that has always interested me.

r@m

I do have the stock high output alt. but my voltage gauge has been acting weird lately, so I'm gonna have the alt tested, to see if it is the culprit. Regardless though, the windows have always been like this. If the alt is going out however, i will replace it with a Mean Green and see if I notice a difference.

I do remember reading a write-up on JU about this some time ago. One of the guys over there ran a higher gage wire directly from the battery, to the control switch on the driver door, and it supposively sped things up quite a bit.

TRL WGN 1 said:
I do remember reading a write-up on JU about this some time ago. One of the guys over there ran a higher gage wire directly from the battery, to the control switch on the driver door, and it supposively sped things up quite a bit.

To the switch or the relay? I can't see running it to the switch - asking for melted wires. But then I've never had this apart either...

r@m

Back