• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

charging the AC and a seepy heater

martino

NAXJA Forum User
I need to charge my air condtioner but am not sure were to start . I am a beginner jeeper so I havent got a clue were to start. Moab got a little hot today. and some cool air would be nice . Also my heater seems to seep hot air out of the defroster area all the time and i dont hear the heater moter running. is there a fuse i could disconnet to stop the hot air seeping or is that how the xj's are.

Jeep changed the heater control valve in 1991. It would help to know what year your XJ is.

A 1991 AC system would have been filled with R12. This type of refrigerant is no longer readily available, and when it IS available, it costs an arm and a leg, on the order of $60/pound, and your system would take 1-2 lbs. Ouch for most people.

If you DO decide to convert to the more modern R134a type refrigerant, this can be done easily, PROVIDING you have the old refrigerant, or what's left of it, removed with a vacuum pump. Any AC shop can do this for you.

I would recommend having an experienced AC shop do the conversion for you. As part of that effort, they will make sure that the system will not leak out all the new refrigerant as soon as its' installed.

As far as heater control valves, I will leave Eagle and others help you trouble shoot that one.............

Back