• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering feedback

xjblaine

NAXJA Forum User
for those of you running steering similar to what is available thru www.bulletproofsteering.com, what obstacles have you run into in setting this up? here's the plan

3/4" heims at each end of drag link and tie rod
11/16 ID dom .250 wall (what is the OD of this, anyone?), which can be tapped for the 3/4 16 thread of the heims.
built to look like the bulletproof steering.

I have to do this on thursday, and then drive 400 miles on it. lemme know what you guys have experienced.

You will have to relocate the sway bar mounting tabs on the axle. If you go knuckle to knuckle steering, they get in the way. Also you might have to clearance the spring buckets.

AARON

cool, thanks. Anybody know if there are other misalignment bushings than what 4wheeler's has in phoenix? Theirs had a 1/2 diameter hole for a bolt, and fit the 3/4 heim. I'd like to run a 3/4" bolt with the 3/4" heim, if anyone knows lemme know.

yeah, but BP's are quite expensive. I spoke to Todd McCullen out a desertfab, he suggested some 1" OD .120 as a spacer...hmmmmm.....maybe.

HOLY CRAP!!!

I spoke to my steel guy today, he couln't get the dom I wanted, but I could get .388 wall with the 11/16 ID for about $100. Add the ~$180 for qa1 heims, ~$40for tapping (each tap, one RH, one left), ~$15 for drill bit, ~$25 for hardware and ancilliaries (is that even a word?), and I end up with....$395. I think I'll just buy it from Bulletproofsteering.com, granted, the tube is slightly smaller, but it saves $$$ and more importantly, time.

Back