• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice needed.

HoodRichXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of lifting my 2000 cherokee sport. I ran into a guy a few weeks ago @ walmart and talked with him about his 92 XJ, he told me that with his 6" lift he did not have to replace the driveshaft. I have heard of this happening in older cherokee but not really in newer ones. can anyone give me any insight on this?

When you go that high you need a SYE, and with that you need a new driveshaft. My 92 has 6.5" of lift and I replaced both driveshafts.

The guy might have gotten lucky, but if so I'd guess he never went off-road.

I can relate what happened to a friend. He had a '95 (old style transfer case output) with an 8.25 rear axle. He was running a Rusty's 3" lift with no problems. He decided he wanted to go higher, so he threw in a pair of 2" coil spacers in front and 2" blocks in the rear. Then he went for a test drive, and his drive shaft fell out less than 1/4 of a mile down the road.

We put in a drive shaft from an '87 with a Dana 35 axle. It was about 5/8" longer, and that was enough to keep everything in place, although far from optimum.

I ran 6+" in my 87 with a D44 rear, D35 driveshaft and no SYE. .I did have shims but no T-case drop.Wheeled it hard and never had any vibes at from 0-100mph and never had any driveshaft related problems other than broken u-joints but thats to be expected with 36" tires on stock driveshafts. My angles were good.

On a 97+ your going to need a SYE almost definitaly though. I can't remember what changed as it was never relevant to me but the general consensous is that even with a budget boost you may need one.

I probably shouldnt admit this but I ran just an extended drive shaft with 7" in the rear, sure I got vibe but $100, it cant be beaten in my opinion, oh yeh I wheeled the hell out of my jeep at that hieght, now Ive got the hack n tap with the RE driveshaft but Im alot high now also, you can get away with it at 6"

Back