• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV4500 Transmission Swap w/ Klune V

DurangoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone done this transmission swap into their XJ? It looks like a great transmission and I have done alot of research on the swap. You always get different stories from people though. I have heard that you have to cut the center of the unibody where the tranny seats because the NV4500 is so much larger.

Anyone have a Klune V out there? David would be the type of Klune V that I would use. It cost almost the most as an Atlas but you get more gear options.

Ideas? Input?

Thanks everyone!!! :cheers:

with the LOW first gear in the 4500 and a 4.0 Klune... your crawl ratio would be like 6 million to one.... im thinking way tooo lowwwww...

You DO NOT need to cut the tunnel for the NV in the XJ. A little hammering in two spots is all that is needed. Also cutting a few of the NUBS on the NV cover help greatly.

A Klune behind it would be way overkill in my opinion. I personally would do the Atlas II. That is what I ran in my red jeep and loved the setup!

With the NV, Klune and Tcase I would expect some cutting at the back to clear the tcase without lowing it so far it would hang very low. Don't forget that makes for a short drive shaft also, so I hope you don't have too high of a lift.

mark

Ya the Klune V might be alittle overkill.
I just did the calculation to the final crawl ratio and with the 5.61 tranny 1st gear (NV4500), the 4 in the Klune V, the 2.72 in the T-case (NP231), and the 4.56 in the axles it comes to 280 : 1 and that is way too low.

With out the klune v and just a 4 to 1 in the t-case it is much more reasonable at 102 : 1 and with the lower 1st gear in the tranny (6.34) it is 116 : 1.

I am just trying to find enough gears or a happy medium for rock crawling and driving around the mountain passes here in colorado.

keep in mind that the more gearing you put in front to the t-case (NV4500, Klune) the more torque the t-case will see, and the 231 isn't exactly the strongest.

I would run an NV4500 (swap in the 6-point-something 1st gear), to a 4:1 D300, or 4.3 Atlas.

Back