• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Bumper Removal

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is probably a stupidly basic question, but I figured I'd ask before I give it a go and break something. What is the proper sequence for removing the front bumper? I just got the C4x4 towhook brackets and thier instructions start, "After removing the bumper....." I know I could probably figure it out, but I figure why not ask first. Work smart not hard, right? Thanks for any help.

Karlm

Depends on the year, 97+ have the end caps attached to the sides and to the wheel flares. If I remember right the bit is a T55 torx and they are under the caps. You need to push the caps towards the center of the bumper so that the plastic tabs release and the caps free up to get at the torx screws. Also the vac resivoir is inside the bumper on the passenger side so there are two vac lines the you will need to disconnect.
If you have a few spare bucks order a factory service manual out of the owners manual, ~$90 or so, very handy and shows the whole thing.

bumper re,oval

just did this for C4X4 winch bumper. 3 15mm head bolts each side hold bumper bracket to unibody, then you have more room to work John

Just be careful not to drop it on your stomach!!! Like I did. I had a mark from the liscense plate holder.

PS, I put on those same hooks. When you have the bumper down, loosen the T-50 bolts that hold the bumper mounting brackets, and slide them outwards, to pass the steel plate of the tow hooks mounts!

I don't know if they tell you that in the directions, but I didn't have the directions, and it only took me about an hour to complete the whole job, including the cussing and swearing time, for dropping the bumper on myself.

Thanks guys. A FSM is in the near future. Im in my very very (really, I'm not lying this time) last semester of college. It is on the short list of things to buy when I get a couple of bucks together.

Bumper Removal-C4x4 hooks

Just did this job the night before last and recently put a trans cooler on my 89. The easiest way is to initially leave the three bracket bolts alone. Leave the endcaps alone. Loosen the four torx bit (size 27 or 25 I forget which) and drop the bumper. Then you have room to remove the brackets. BEFORE you do this go to the passenger side and remove the two small screws under the bumper that hold the vacuum canister on. They are near the endcap and point directly downward and are 8mm or so.
There are two torx bit bolts on each bumper bracket. One points downward and is visible on the bottom of the bumper. The other is hidden by the splash guard and you've got to reach up there and feel around for it-this one is horizontal with the head facing the engine. Hope this helps.

The way I handled the vacuum canister is that I left it in the pocket in the front fascia of the XJ while working on the tow hook brackets. When I finished and put the bumper back on, I reached up and manupulated the little tray the canister is mounted on until the two bolt holes lined up. The beauty of this way is that you don't disturb or remove the canister at all during the bumper removal process. Also, you mount the bumper brackets without the weight of the bumper on them. It's hard enough to line up all the holes in the bumper bracket, tow hook bracket, and front crossmember angle bracket without the bumper in the way. Once you get everything tightend down, then put the bumper back on with the torx bit bolts.

Any guess on what size torx? I have a few empty spaces in my collection. I want an excuse to buy more tools

is it a possibility that you guys could get some pics up if you are still inb the process of doing this?

i saw some tow hook brackets in the junk yard but i didn't have enought time to grab em. is it possible using only hand tools because i sure do like my pnumatic wrench but i can't get it out there.

Karlm said:
Any guess on what size torx? I have a few empty spaces in my collection. I want an excuse to buy more tools
You can get a whole set of torx bits from sears for about 40 bucks. That's what I did when put my tow hooks on. It came with about 7 sockets.

Can you grab factory tow hooks? Yes, three bolts that have a 15 mm head on each side holding the bumper to the front end.

Then the two T-50 bolts holding the brackets to the bumper.

Now, my 88 MJ, had two small Torx bolts holding a brace onto the frame that I had to remove before I could take the brackets off.

But my 88 XJ didn't have this brace. They both had factory tow hooks.

Back