• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF Addative??

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
:dunno: has anyone used it? I did the fluid transfusion last weekend and the old AW4 is working much better now. I followed the advise given by my fellow XJ'ers now I could not complaint. However, I would like to do it again for added peace of mind.
If you remember I had the 'no down shift when hot' problem. I disconnected the return hose between the cooler and the tranny and ran the engine while adding ATF. I have a remote start which I used to stop the engine a few times since the fluid would come out faster than I could get it to go in.
Anyway, I would like to do it again for peace of mind and maybe use a flushing additive for good measure while filling it with a good quality ATF. Any recommendations? Maybe the additive is a bad idea :twak: . What do you think?

i see no reason to use an additive, but you do need to shift through all the gears and P,R,N,D,3,1-2 positions for about a minute each while it's running to get all the fluid out of the valvebody.

what fluid are you using? i put in Mobil 1 synthetic a month ago when I swapped the tranny in, not knowing it's bad for AW4s. now, based on recommendations here, I put in Valvoline Dexron III/Mercon.

Im currently in the process of replacing all the ATF +3(dealer reccomended) fluid with B+M trickshift. I've smoked the aw4 twice real good so i don't know how accurate my swap will be. I can only do about 4 qts. at a time + what ever fits in the cooler( too little too late) . Is Dexron 3 ok to use?? i can get that at work for cheap .

MassbayXJ said:
Im currently in the process of replacing all the ATF +3(dealer reccomended) fluid with B+M trickshift. I've smoked the aw4 twice real good so i don't know how accurate my swap will be. I can only do about 4 qts. at a time + what ever fits in the cooler( too little too late) . Is Dexron 3 ok to use?? i can get that at work for cheap .

Do you have a 4.0L and AW-4? Dexron is the recommended juice for the AW-4, not ATF-3.

Hey Madmaxj, I am using at the moment Aamco Dexron+3 / Mercon. I have been using this for many years in several vehicles I owned in the past. I have never had a problem with the transmission until now. I guess it was my fault. I bought the XJ in December, changed all the fluids except in the AW4 and have since then driven over 10,000 miles. One day it acted up in stop-and-go traffic on the highway; well actually the engine overheated a bit also. After that the engine worked fine but the AW4 did not, that is not until the fluid transfusion. At the present, I am not having a problem but would like to transfuse the fluid one more time. Since most XJ'ers do not like synthetic in the AW4, I will stay with what I know works.
Thanks all for your reply.

Back