• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjusting chamber

green rust said:
Does anybody know of a way to adjust the chamber on a 95 xj? My manual says it is not adjustable. The tires are V'd out and wearing more on the out side.

If i remember right camber is not adjustable, but toe is. Call your local tire shop on how to adjust they might be able to help. Sound like a $45.00 alingment is in order. well worth the cost considering what it will cost to replace your tires.

green rust said:
Does anybody know of a way to adjust the chamber on a 95 xj? My manual says it is not adjustable. The tires are V'd out and wearing more on the out side.

It can be adjusted but requires adj. Ball joints!

It may appear the alignment is fine when it actually is not. If the tires are wearing bad it is an indication that something is out of specs. The tie rod that runs across from one wheel to the other most likely need adjusting;..shortening a bit. An alignment shop could do that. I usally do that myself using a measuring tape at the front of the rim and at the back of the rim assuming they true (not bent). Someone on this forum could give the specs on this.

If you lifted it (you didn't say), and you have adjustable control arms, then you need to adjust them (probably longer). This will make you think the camber is outta whack.

This is, of course, if you have lifted it.

OR, you have worn out upper CA bushings.

I adjusted my camber by installing offset ball joints.

The only way to adjust camber on an axle without replacing it is with adjustable ball joints! That is all!

Ditto the above. Just to pile on a bit: If the tires are wearing funny, the alignment is NOT okay. And camber is part of alignment. The only way to adjust it is to replace the standard ball joint(s) with offset ball joint(s), but if the camber is out of spec the alignment tech should tell you that, not send you home thinking everything is fine.

Back