• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent Lift Help

Im assuming you pulled the cotter pin and removed 3/4 castle nuts. A pickle fork is a rod that looks like a tuning fork used to seperate tapered bolts from seats.. If you dont have one your probably going to have to beat with a hammer. Hit the track bar bracket on the side a few times hard and it should pop it lose.

yeah we got the bolt of and weve been waking away on it i just dont understand how it would come off... could you explain in more detail.. btw.. thx for the help

Basically its a tapered seat and by beating on it side ways you are pushing the tapered bolt down. The vibrations also help free it. What lift are you putting on?

dont hit the threaded post on the tie rod. If anything, thread the bolt on a couple threads and hit the nut till it comes off the tamper, then unscrew the bolt...(I usually do this as a last resort)

-Red

were puttng on a RE 4.5 superflex on an XJ, the stock ... so we wak it sideways where it attaches right at that ball and socket joint?

That means you wont b be reusing the track bar right. Beat down on the track bar as far up as you can. Beat it right on the side of the track bar bracket right where the tapered bolt goes through the bracket. Sometimes it takes exactly 3276 hits.

just to be sure...you are going to use a different tracbar...right...
and i have lifted my xj 3 then to 4 1/2 and now to 6" and i haven't removed the linkage from the pitman arm...why do you need to drop the linkage to the arm?

Yes Im talking about the body end also. I install RE stuff for a living and I used to have to do it without the right tools. The body end of the track bar has a bracket that attaches to the unibody using 2 horizontal bolts on the outside and 2 vertical bolts on the inside. Beat on this bracket horizontally from the driverside wheelwell. If this doesnt work beat down on the actual track bar as far up as possible. If you get tired of hammering remove the bracket from the unibody (4 previously mentioned bolts that are loctited) and it should be much easier to hit it squarely.

Glad I could be of assistance.
PS If you havent touched the rear upper shock bolts yet take your time and SLOWLY work the bolts in and out a little at a time with plenty of lubricant to prevent breaking off the heads.

Back