• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blacking out back side windows...

Shanbo44 said:
Just the 2 rear ones on a 4 door. Has anyone done this? or seen it done? What would you use to do this.
Dunno what the kid I bought my 89 from, used. but it's peeling..not fond of the whole thing, myself, but being in law enforcement, might make me biased... just check on the laws in your state, first.

legal in nm, but why would you do this?? I imagine spray paint would work well if you prepped the glass first with steel wool.

kc7bur said:
Poomba, are you DoD 0083?
In my State (WA.) you may not apply paint to windows. (RCW Title 46.)
Naw, our police aren't a group I'd feel comfortable with joining..and ain't that a hell of a thing for me to say. GS-085-05, Security Guard part of the Law Enforcement/Security Branch. We just do their job without the pay. :)
Some of the guys up there are good, but leadership is lacking. Getting back to the thread, the kid I bought this from, used black spray paint, which is now peeling..and I will remove it. I do understand the idea of hiding materials from thieves, but having witnessed 20 or so smash and grabs, where the door was unlocked, you're still not going to avoid the terminally stupid.
And I still plan to wheel the hell out of Utah, and then get back up to the Pacific NW, kc7bur, in a year or three, so maybe we'll meet :) Getting the hell off post (Ft. Lewis) taught me to love the area.

xjpose.jpg

1/8" paneling, painted black. Did that to the rear small window on the door when the Jeep was broken into, I will replace it with glass when I find the ring tinted glass.

Just remember if you do go the window tint route not to ever use a window cleaner with ammonia in it. Thats what makes the tint turn purple and look like crap.

FWIW, I got all of my windows tinted for $100, so I'd think you could get just the rear ones done for pretty cheap. I did have to peel off my factory tint first though to make it all match up. IMO, there's nothing that looks worse than a bad tint job. :puke:

A friend of mine blew out one of the rear windows in his Nissan Xterra. Instead of replacing the glass, he decided to cover it up with Diamond Plate powder coated black. Here's some pictures of how it turned out. Looks really good in my opinion!!

1.jpg

4.jpg

Hmmm...couple Dzus fasteners and a lock on the inside and you can 'roll' those windows down pretty easily...I like!

Shanbo44 said:
How hard was it? How long did it take etc?

shannon

It took a couple hours to clean the windows and apply it. I did the back window, the two rear windows, and the top of the windshield. I would count on about an hour or 2. I can get more pictures if you need them.

Lots of the Jeepspeed guys replace their rear windows with either lexan or a sheet of aluminum to keep the weight down. Sorry don't have any pictures, but shouldn't be hard to get some aluminum and cut it the same shape as the glass.

Poomba, You were at Ft. Lewis on active duty? I'm transfering over there from a Navy Station, can't stand Navy. Hooah! Prior Army, 3d infantry Division. 0083/6

Oh yeah, WA. state law, upon further review, states they won't register a vehicle if the window has been painted, but only applies to windshield and driver/ passenger windows, and if the vehicle is equipped with left and right outside rearview mirrors.

Back