• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler mod question

cjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
my 89 limited came with the towing package which came with an auxiliary trans fluid cooler. is this strong enough to cool the fluid by itself because the connector to the radiator is leaking and id rather lose that hole section for fear of cross contamination anyway. if possible id like to just run the fluid in and out of the aux. cooler rather than both it and the radiator. what is your opinions?

If you do a search, you'll see that most of the responses will be to NOT use the aux tranny cooler by itself. I've asked the question myself to see if it would help get my radiator temps down, but everyone recommended against it. I can't imagine it being too much of a problem unless you put a lot of strain on your tranny, like towing, or frequent shifting (i.e. hills in high gear/OD).

how much actually goes thru the radiator. is it just straight up through the end tank or does it wrap around inside it somewhere? could i get a bigger aftermarket one instead?

I recently took the tank off of an OEM radiator and found that the tranny cooler is not very big. It's made of two concentric tubes about 8 inches long that are sealed together at the ends. The cooler volume is the space between the two tubes. The outer tube is about 1 1/4 inches OD and the inner one is about 1 inch ID. Make sense?

Back