• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced axle shaft u-joint (760X), now have vibes?

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I replaced the driverside axleshaft u-joint in my 98 XJ with a 760X unit. During the install, one of the bearing caps gave way, the end if it cracked and popped, the entire end of it sheared off! I was using a ball joint press and I wasn't putting that much pressure on it, I was tightening the clamp and then *pop* the end of the cap went. So I put another cap on it, got the joint seated properly with the c-clips, the assembly felt good, everything felt smooth, and reinstalled. Drove it around, no problems.

Drove it to class this morning, no problems. On the way back, minor vibes at around 45mph. I thought I felt a clunk/pop upon decellerating as well. Then it progressively got worse. Now if it's above 20, it feels like I'm driving on a bumpy road. I can hear and feel popping and clunking. It's extremely bad at 45, but I can get it up to 55. WTF?

Is the joint bad? Did I install it improperly? Maybe I put something back together wrong? I'm going to pull the shaft again and probably take it to a shop to replace the joint because I can't stand replacing those f*cking u-joints anymore. Any ideas? Thanks.

I hate say it but I suggest that you pull the shaft and "feel" the movment of the joint. when you press em together and install the clips you should use a small punch or something that will aloww you to "seat" the caps by hitting the center of the joit under each cap thus seating the clip against the yoke.

Thanks for the advice. The vibes have progressively gotten worse, especially when making a left hand turn (they lessen when turning right). I'm gonna pull the cover first in hopes that nothing was damaged, then I'm gonna pull the shafts and let someone else press the joints in, I simply don't have the patience for the job anymore. Question, is it possible to pull both shafts and stuff rags into the axle tubes to prevent leaking gear oil, and still drive assuming the R&P, spider gears, etc are in good shape? This is my DD and I have no other vehicles. I'm under time constraint right now as I need to leave for Boston next Wednesday. Thanks again.

DO NOT DRIVE YOU JEEP WITHOUT SHAFTS IN THE UNI BEARINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wheel unibearings are held together by the outer shafts. If you drive on them without the saft in there they WILL fall apart and you WILL crash!!!!

Here is a way to do what you want:
1. Get outer shafts from someone who have destroyed the yoke and use them in the bearings when your axles are out.

or

2. Get a the largest dia. grade 8 bolt that fits in the bearing ( it's like 1 1/4" diamiter but I'm not sure so check it) and is long enough, bolt it up with the nut sticking out towards the wheel. Make sure you have enough clearance to install the wheel.

Either of these will work for temporary. And as you said stuff some rags in the tubes and you'll be good to go!

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
DO NOT DRIVE YOU JEEP WITHOUT SHAFTS IN THE UNI BEARINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wheel unibearings are held together by the outer shafts. If you drive on them without the saft in there they WILL fall apart and you WILL crash!!!!
mark

Ask me how I know. Put brand new unibearings in my XJ and did not put the stubs in. Luckily I was going 5mph on a test run in the parking lot when it fell apart, but I still sheared both passenger side caliper bolts and bent the outer knuckle. Again, LUCKILY it was at a friend's shop and he had a 'throwaway' Dana 30 sitting there that he let me take a knuckle off of.

Oh, for the rags in the axle tubes....put them inside rubber gloves first and then shove them in the tubes. Makes a better seal that way. I just came up with that when I was starting to put the rags in. I carry a big ol' box of nitrile gloves between the seat and driver door a la Dan Starc. ;)

Thanks for the heads up Mark and ECKSJAY, good to know! I think I got a spare set of stub shafts lying around somewhere, I'll have to check. I'll also take the advice of the rubber gloves if I can get everything rolling, otherwise I might have to borrow a car for the next few days. Thanks again!

Ok, someone needs to drive over here and punch me in the face and give me the assclown of the year award. The problem was the front passenger side lug nuts were loose! I was about to pull the shaft and the things were finger loose, I couldn't believe it. I'm glad I didn't lose the wheel and end up hurting someone. I gave the u-joint job another shot on the passenger axle and it went smooth as glass, I was amazed. Anyways, thanks for the advice and feel free to make fun of me.

I cant laugh I have done it before.
DIG IT! :wstupid:

dont feel to bad my buddy lost a wheel last time out on the trail ....i was not pritty....and when we did a little digging we found that all the lugs were just over hand tight...the amazing thig was that we drove an hour to get to the park on the highway....yes he bought lotto tickets on the way home

Back