• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown TPS, what caused it?

piperRonnie

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ, 2.5L, 5 speed.

Problem: Yesterday, driving at 70 on highway, engine sputtered a little, “check engine” light came on. Sputter has continued occasionally, and engine light has stayed on.
Put friend’s OBDII scanner on, code said throttle position sensor circuit high (P0123).
I’m pretty sure I can replace the TPS myself. I’ll be searching archives etc.

Question: Could the TPS been fried from a bad jump start? Two months ago I helped an elderly couple, their cables were crossed, I didn’t check the set-up :doh: (but jeep seemed fine since).
Or can a TPS be damaged from bad gas? I filled up at Thort*** in suburban Chicago two days ago. After leaving the station, I passed the Thort*** tanker on the road (I assume he just filled the station).

Any comments welcomed.
Thanks in advance,
Ronnie

The TPS is a simple potentiometer. No active electrical parts. No way hooking it up backwards can hurt it. Anyway, the voltage that feeds the TPS is a regulated +5v from the computer. The biggest failure mode of TPS's is getting water in them while washing the engine. Normally the failure is immediate, but not always.

my jeeps doing the same thing as yours but its a 94 4cyl 5 speed I've changed the tps with 2 new ones and one old one. maybe the only thing mine does is it runs good until the engine warms up thats when the check engine light comes on and runs ruff. about the ony thing I haven't changed is the computer do you have any ideas?

Back