• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Flare mounting (what bolts and ideas)!!!!

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
I cut out today, I need recommendation for those of you who swear by them.
How did you mount em'. Pics please. Need to do tomm. See ya. :read: :peace:

I used 1/4 -20 x 1inch ss bolts with fender washers on the in su=ide so that when i lean on a tree or rock to much it will just pull the bolt through the flair. I tested it and it works pretty good.

Use any kind of bolt in the rear, I oringianly went wiht rivets, but they were a bitch to get on tight, so I cut them off and went wiht bolts. I don't know much about those fenser washers, but they sound like a good idea.

I would definently use zip ties up front though. The zipe-ties will break before you rip the falre. Its a very good thing.:)

You don't no stinkin flares. Go flareless. TJ flares do look good though and should keep the law off your butt. Are you using a full set from a tj or just 4 rear tj flares. I really like the look of 4 rear tj flares on an xj, then you don't have to mess with the front blinker. Pop rivets sound good as long as you can get a large enough washer on them to anchor it. You can always use small bolts if these don't work so good.

What about securing the part of the flare that sits below the crease that runs along the body? The part where you've got to do some trimming to make them fit right.

Robert

RockRod said:
I cut out today, I need recommendation for those of you who swear by them.
How did you mount em'. Pics please. Need to do tomm. See ya. :read: :peace:

I'm not running them but I put them on for the Club Pres of the Black Hills Jeeps...and I just used the black plastice molding buttons( same as wold hold on a door panel . Their cheap and they will rip out before a) the flares break or b) body damage occurs..

Jeep Freek (Bill)
Black Hills Jeeps
00 XJ 4.5 RE Superflex, 33 12.50 MTR's and Bushwackers

ummmm, there are for sale forums for stuff like that... You've dug up a million TJ flare threads from prehistory to post that you're selling some? With 5 posts total?

I used self drilling self taping bolts. They have worked very well so far.

This, with 3/4" fender washers, screwed from the flare-side into the sheet metal. Add a dab of silicone to the screw threads before install to prevent rust. I hand-fitted them up, trimmed the excess off of the ends and the flange, marked the holes on the fender with a studdy pencil through the mounting holes, and drilled them up with a 1/8" drill. I used 3/16" screws with hex/phillips combo heads and ratcheted them down snug but not super tight.

I used 1/8" Pop Rivets and washers on the flare side in combination with double stick tape under the flair. It works great and if I ever rip the flare off I can just re-drill the existing holes to 3/16".

This, with 3/4" fender washers, screwed from the flare-side into the sheet metal. Add a dab of silicone to the screw threads before install to prevent rust. I hand-fitted them up, trimmed the excess off of the ends and the flange, marked the holes on the fender with a studdy pencil through the mounting holes, and drilled them up with a 1/8" drill. I used 3/16" screws with hex/phillips combo heads and ratcheted them down snug but not super tight.
EXCELLENT idea, I see rust around flares even on stockers from the threads on the mounting bolts chipping the paint around the holes all the time.

PS: this thread was dead years ago - a spammer woke it back up, I replied before I realized he was waking up other threads not just this one, then edited my post to update it. Great info though.

Back