• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody siped BFG MT's

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a decent set of used BFG MT's and was thinking of running them in the winter. I heard that siping can help with hardpack snow, ice, and wet handling. Any input?

BLUTO :idea:

It helps plenty on ice, but the tires will wear out much faster.

My MT's are grooved. They work about as good as a set of MTR's now on the wet stuff. Nothing will help on ice. But the sipes shopuld help on snow packed roads. I have around 20,000 miles on the grooves and I'm ready for new tires, I think the sipes will hold out a little longer, but not much.

Renegade Jpr said:
It helps plenty on ice, but the tires will wear out much faster.

Siping doesnt cause tires to wear faster. It actually wears slower because it disapates heat better.

I second what azxjman said. I ran my last set of tires with 2 siped and 2 not. The tread on the siped tires wore slower. The tires were rotated every 5000 miles so it wasn't just front or rear wear.

I don't have MTs, but my siped tires grip so well in the rain, at times I will "skip" when braking. Reminds me of a suction cup.

But now that I've had siped tires, I'll never go back!!!

Pretty minimal, but you do get slightly more chunking if you peel out a lot in jagged stuff.

Back