• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 FI to 350 Carb'd

JT86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know in detail, from the tank to the carb, exactly how to setup my fuel system, I plan on (if I can) running the mechanical pump already on the V8. Basically i wanna know is what to get rid of, what I gotta buy and how to hook it all up with keeping it simple, Thanks

I think you could use the lines already in the jeep and use a sending and pickup unit from a 2.8 v6 xj.
the 2.8 v6's are carbed so that should not be a problem but you may have to change the tank to use the sending unit

dont quote me on this but i think it should work

mike86xj said:
I think you could use the lines already in the jeep and use a sending and pickup unit from a 2.8 v6 xj.
the 2.8 v6's are carbed so that should not be a problem but you may have to change the tank to use the sending unit

dont quote me on this but i think it should work

They will interchange. I put a 94 pump and pickup in my 84 tank. The tank does not even have to be removed. The pump stick is in the tank! but my question is why? why not go FI v-8 if it is already FI?

Ghost said:
They will interchange. I put a 94 pump and pickup in my 84 tank. The tank does not even have to be removed. The pump stick is in the tank! but my question is why? why not go FI v-8 if it is already FI?

I am thinking the same thing, however, I have an early AMC 360, that is intended for my 94, and a FI set ups are few and far between. Any suggestions as to where to pick one of these up ?

imo, that motorswap is not an upgrade, but a downgrade. from fi to carb does not make sense. i love my 2.5, it crawls like a champ.
good luck with the inclines

i am doing the same swap to mine. 96 xj with 2.5 to a 350 4bbl. just put a fuel regulator on it. it will step down the high FI pressure to a lower carb pressure.

I dont see how you can say puttin a V8 in over a 4 cylinder is a down grade, the 4 had problems with 30" ATs, good lil motor but no power what so ever, the reason I went wit a carb is, the motors outa a 80 pickup, already carb'd and I dont have the money right now to do a FI swap, and Ive wheeled in a carb'd truck inclines were no problem.

JT86XJ said:
I dont see how you can say puttin a V8 in over a 4 cylinder is a down grade, the 4 had problems with 30" ATs, good lil motor but no power what so ever, the reason I went wit a carb is, the motors outa a 80 pickup, already carb'd and I dont have the money right now to do a FI swap, and Ive wheeled in a carb'd truck inclines were no problem.

Ok, those 80's 360's put out a max of what 225 HP? To me the expense of the swap and loosing FI is not worth the hassel. Especially when a more powerful 4 popper will bolt right up to my tranny. That is what I did. The 86-90 2.5 put out about 115 HP but the 91-94 2.5 put out close to 140HP. Throw an exhaust and 4.0 throttle bodie on with a cam and I bet she would be close to 160 HP. I went from 2.5 carbed to 2.5 FI and love it! I run 4.10 gears and 33's with out any major problems. It want do 80 on the road but who wants a no swaybard xj running that fast anyway? Yes the 360 will put out more HP then the 2.5 ever could but at what expense? The AMC's are even more expensive to build than a Ford! As for the 80's 350 why? FI is cheap compared to the FI conversion for a AMC! If you are going from FI to carb do like was mentiond get a fuel regulator from Jeggs or Summit! Done and you can go back to FI when you decide to! As for those of you with XJ's built after 87 you would be nuts not to get a wrecked 4.0 XJ and swap the 4.0 drivetrain over to your XJ! JMHO! i will be doing a V-8 but not right now and it will be a 5.0 Ford motor with FI!

Stick said:
I am thinking the same thing, however, I have an early AMC 360, that is intended for my 94, and a FI set ups are few and far between. Any suggestions as to where to pick one of these up ?

Are you talking about FI set ups for the AMC? If so there was one mentioned on Trucks just recently. I'd check there site they put all the info of products on there site!

Ghost said:
Ok, those 80's 360's put out a max of what 225 HP?

I have a Chevy 350 in mine not a AMC 360, and I know there are many FI options out there for the 350 but right now, it makes the most sense to stay with a carb

i totally agree on a carb, as long as it is set up right. holley truck avenger is what i am going with. then if i dont like, (and when some more money comes in), i could go FI. for sale: old 2.5L ax-5 and 231 with all accessories from my 96 xj. left over from swap.

Ghost said:
Ok, those 80's 360's put out a max of what 225 HP? To me the expense of the swap and loosing FI is not worth the hassel. Especially when a more powerful 4 popper will bolt right up to my tranny. That is what I did. The 86-90 2.5 put out about 115 HP but the 91-94 2.5 put out close to 140HP. Throw an exhaust and 4.0 throttle bodie on with a cam and I bet she would be close to 160 HP. I went from 2.5 carbed to 2.5 FI and love it! I run 4.10 gears and 33's with out any major problems. It want do 80 on the road but who wants a no swaybard xj running that fast anyway? Yes the 360 will put out more HP then the 2.5 ever could but at what expense? The AMC's are even more expensive to build than a Ford! As for the 80's 350 why? FI is cheap compared to the FI conversion for a AMC! If you are going from FI to carb do like was mentiond get a fuel regulator from Jeggs or Summit! Done and you can go back to FI when you decide to! As for those of you with XJ's built after 87 you would be nuts not to get a wrecked 4.0 XJ and swap the 4.0 drivetrain over to your XJ! JMHO! i will be doing a V-8 but not right now and it will be a 5.0 Ford motor with FI!

I have a 94 2.5L with 4:10s, and 35s. Let me tell you...It doesnt have enuff power to pull a greasy string from a horses butt. I wouldnt hit a dog in the butt with it. I'm going with the 360 with a carb for now. along with the rest of the drive train. So only time will tell. :cool:

Back