• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can CPS go out-come back on?

footdale

NAXJA Forum User
Few days ago went to start my '98 102k miles up to go home and all it would do is crank. Did my research here and it sounded like it was either the CPS or maybe one of the cells in the battery was dead. I go back a couple days later, try again, and this time it fires right up. The check engine light was on the whole way home. Since then it starts up great, no check engine light or anything. Does this rule the CPS out? I've cleaned the battery terminals and ground points to make sure I am getting good contact. Its just not very comforting not knowing if it is going to start or not next time I try.
Thanks,
Joe

Doubt it was the battery since it cranked. CPS can cause intermittent problems usually due to a bad wire harness connector. Clean your connector pins on both sides of the connector and make sure they are not stretched and are sealing tight together inside the plastice connector housing. Next time this happens undo the wire harness connector and reconect it this often establishes a better connection. Also check your coil wire to make sure it is clean at the connections (you should have dielectric grease on the ends to prevent corrosion) and that the ends are seated tight. Good Luck. Greg

My CPS caused all kinds or weirdness. Would start fine one time then not start, then start but idle all funky. Temperature also seemed to have some effect on it too. Cold and hot made it angry... Replaced it alls fine now. Easy job and pretty cheap part.

Back