• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More ford nine inch questions

offroadman83

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have been looking at throwing my 9 inch in for sometime now and money has been limiting me. Good thing however as I have figured I wanna upgrade it some more to my liking. I have a late 60's ford galaxie 9 inch with the stock jeep 5x4.5 bolt pattern, small bearing 28 spline with the larger 3.062?? carrier bearings. I am running 35s and will be running 37s possibly someday, but 35s for now. I am running the stock 4.0. Should I just upgrade to 31 spline. Can I upgrade to 35 spline with this axle?? Or should I just get another 9 inch with the ford big bolt pattern, big bearing and just throw my 4.88 gears in it and lock it and just have a wider axle overall. Is there a better backspaced wheel that I can run with a wider fullsize 9" to match the front 30 for now. I will be upgrading to a 44 soon. Anyways someone help me here and I am sorry for all the questions, just want other peoples opinions, as you can never get enough------Kyle

Or you could buy my Currie HP 9", its fullwidth, but its pretty cheap and has no brackets.

Oh yeah forgot to tell you I can get the full width 9" 31 spline from the junkyard friend for about $50, that is why I am thinking of using it instead of paying 300 bucks for new shafts.-----Kyle

offroadman83 said:
Oh yeah forgot to tell you I can get the full width 9" 31 spline from the junkyard friend for about $50, that is why I am thinking of using it instead of paying 300 bucks for new shafts.-----Kyle
The smart man would rather spend $50 than $300, and I'm a smart man.

Of course, I'm biased. I'm getting ready to put in a 31 spline 9" out of my '79 Bronco.

But with the rear sticking out because of the extra width should I worry about it or can I do something cheaply with backspaced rims to remedy the problem??

Okie Terry said:
The smart man would rather spend $50 than $300, and I'm a smart man.

Of course, I'm biased. I'm getting ready to put in a 31 spline 9" out of my '79 Bronco.
I just picked up the exact same thing last night for $100 with 4.10 and LS

whats the bolt pattern on the 31-spline? Is it also the big bearing axle? For $50 thats what I would do. You'll likely have to get new wheels since it's probably 5x5.5. Get the wheels with the backspacing you want to run when all is said and done, then run spacers in the front that convert to the same bolt pattern until you can replace the front axle. Since you'll be going to a 44 "soon" I wouldn't worry about running too little bacjspacing on the d30.

LOL, I'm going fullwidth too now. (just as soon as I pay the $2k I owe off) I just landed a new job 4 months before I graduate from college. Yaaaayyy for me!

offroadman83 said:
Well I have been looking at throwing my 9 inch in for sometime now and money has been limiting me. Good thing however as I have figured I wanna upgrade it some more to my liking. I have a late 60's ford galaxie 9 inch with the stock jeep 5x4.5 bolt pattern, small bearing 28 spline with the larger 3.062?? carrier bearings. I am running 35s and will be running 37s possibly someday, but 35s for now. I am running the stock 4.0. Should I just upgrade to 31 spline. Can I upgrade to 35 spline with this axle?? Or should I just get another 9 inch with the ford big bolt pattern, big bearing and just throw my 4.88 gears in it and lock it and just have a wider axle overall. Is there a better backspaced wheel that I can run with a wider fullsize 9" to match the front 30 for now. I will be upgrading to a 44 soon. Anyways someone help me here and I am sorry for all the questions, just want other peoples opinions, as you can never get enough------Kyle
For the 35 spline option, the housing ends have to be the big houing ends, 3.150" bearing diameter, and you'll have to buy an aftermarket 3rd member housing with 3.250" journals. The bigger axles need bigger bearings to fit.

Dan

Back