• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front d/s questions

mike86xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished lifting the front of my xj 3.5" and have some noise when in 4wd
I believe that it is the front cv driveshaft (not double cardan)
I lifted the rear about a week ago with no noise or vibes

I have a 86 with a 2.great v6, 5spd, np207 t/c d30/35 axles and was wondering what parts I need to change it to the dc style?

driveshaft and t/c yoke (obviously) but do i need the pinion yoke as well?
also did they change the splines on the yoke's and in what year/models

I did a search and found about 100 pages of stuff I allready know

Thanks for any help
Mike

Had the same prob with my 85 model...that funky rear joint don't flex enough..you need a DC shaft...the front diff yoke uses a 1310 joint...you won't need to change it...you can call Tom Woods and get the proper TC yoke and after installing it and getting the appropriate measurements, order a new shaft..if your front output shaft is like mine..after installing the yoke you will need to use a die grinder to trim the threaded part of the shaft that sticks out past the nut back a bit to let the u-joint flex properly. If the grease jert on the back joint doesn't clear the yoke, install a needle lube type jert...then you will be good to go.

Before you buy a new ds, check your castor, wich also changes your pinion angle. The straighter you can make it the more successful you will be eliminating drive shaft bind. Once you have the pinoin angle you want, then get the new shaft built.

mike86xj said:
can I use a stock dc shaft from another cherokee?
This has been done by several people on this board including me. I did a detailed write up on it. What you need is the front yoke off a 231 and the DS from a 4x4 2.5L Xj with the same tranny you have. I went the other rout and got a aw4 front shaft and had it cut to my lift length.

I cant afford a new shaft right now so that's why i was asking if i can use a dc shaft from another cherokee

theres a few of them at a local auto wrecker that i can get for cheap if it will work.

I have stock control arms so I cant adjust the castor, or can I?

thanks
Mike

thanks gohst
I searched and could not find the tech article that you mentioned in my other post, is it in the members area?

now does anyone happen to know what size of socket i need for the nut on the t/c yoke, it's prolly bigger than what myset's go up toso I'll have to go buy one, I hate taking stuff apart and not being prepared

thanks for all the help
Mike Barr

mike86xj said:
thanks gohst
I searched and could not find the tech article that you mentioned in my other post, is it in the members area?

now does anyone happen to know what size of socket i need for the nut on the t/c yoke, it's prolly bigger than what myset's go up toso I'll have to go buy one, I hate taking stuff apart and not being prepared

thanks for all the help
Mike Barr

Yes that article is in the members area. One of the percs we have. But if you should find some threads inf you search. I'm thinking that nut is a 27mm or around there. If you do nto have it figured out by the time I go back to the shop I can look on my spare tcase.

tons of thanks ghost if you could let me know that would be great
I have to put this on hold till friday anyways, filled up the gas in the xj and i'm broke now
who knows maybe I'll find a $100 bill tomorrow,(yeah right wishfull thinking)

thanks for all the help
Mike

mike86xj said:
tons of thanks ghost if you could let me know that would be great
I have to put this on hold till friday anyways, filled up the gas in the xj and i'm broke now
who knows maybe I'll find a $100 bill tomorrow,(yeah right wishfull thinking)

thanks for all the help
Mike

Yes, you can definitely use another XJ driveshaft, as Ghost said. I did the same thing on my CV-equiped XJ, when I lifted it and the driveshaft complained. However, I had to do some trimming (I have a wierd TC/gearbox combo, 207 and T-5). Then I had to do some elongating, when I added the RE drop brackets and the axle moved forward.

Life is interesting with an XJ (especially a lifted one).

Rgds
-----------
John SV1CEC

SV1CEC said:
Yes, you can definitely use another XJ driveshaft, as Ghost said. I did the same thing on my CV-equiped XJ, when I lifted it and the driveshaft complained. However, I had to do some trimming (I have a wierd TC/gearbox combo, 207 and T-5). Then I had to do some elongating, when I added the RE drop brackets and the axle moved forward.

Life is interesting with an XJ (especially a lifted one).

Rgds
-----------
John SV1CEC

what did you have to trim?

mike86xj said:
what did you have to trim?

I had to shorten the driveshaft, since it was bottoming out on compression.

Before:

newdriveshaft.jpg

After:

newdriveshaft2.jpg

Then, when I added the RE drop brackets, I had to re-lengthen it, because the brackets pushed the axle forward.

Rgds
---------
John SV1CEC

Back