• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

could you do this to an MJ?

That is what I have been thinking about when I get an MJ this summer. Looking for a good one to start with right now. Would make one hell of a prerunner, rock crawler. Juice

Actually I'm looking at it very hard. I found a 4cyl 2wd that is begin me to make it a prerunner/daily driver. after i saw this one i just can't help it i want one and i live no where near the desert.
aax.jpg

as much as I love rock-crawlin, I seriously thought about going the other way with my MJ and making it 2wd and full on pre-runner style. It probably woulda cost about the same, but it would be pretty expensive to do one that does both really well.

I am trying to resist doing something like this to my MJ. I got it as a spare jeep (hey it was a deal). So, now a 3" lift and a 4wd donor cherokee later, it is getting tempting to do a cage and some long travel mods. Not to mention fiberglass fenders and bed sides. If i could have just finished one of my other fifty projects before I started this one.......
Dustin

Now that im living in southern california, my MJ is starting to have to pull prerunner duty in the desert. Going up against I beam rangers and toyotas, the one thing that i've noticed is that unsprung weight is the killer. With longarms built out of .25 wall box and a heavy front axle, i need insane damping to keep the front end under control.

basically, it would take alot of money to make my rig work as a crawler and make it go fast at the same time. Im probably going to build a baja bug to have fun with in the desert, but the comanche has surprised me and quite a few other trucks that were fairly well set up.

MJlogan said:
Now that im living in southern california, my MJ is starting to have to pull prerunner duty in the desert. Going up against I beam rangers and toyotas, the one thing that i've noticed is that unsprung weight is the killer. With longarms built out of .25 wall box and a heavy front axle, i need insane damping to keep the front end under control.

basically, it would take alot of money to make my rig work as a crawler and make it go fast at the same time. Im probably going to build a baja bug to have fun with in the desert, but the comanche has surprised me and quite a few other trucks that were fairly well set up.
I would love to have a second Comanche, and be able to have one built totally for rocks and one built totally for pre-runnin. I would keep it 2wd, too: I would get piece of tube as thin as I figured reasonable and weld D44 knuckles on the end. Think how easy it would be to setup a good suspension with no differential or driveshaft to get in the way. I would also run a trussed Toy 8" in the rear, just like I am in my current MJ. They are a bit stronger than a D44 and are lighter, also they have an all steel housing, so no complicated welding to cast for setting up a 4 link.

grrr!!!

STOP IT!
I definetly don't have the time or money to do this, and the more we talk about it.... make is stop...

maybe we could discuss building a Budget MJ Pre-Runner ;) it actually seems pretty doable; seems like most of the time and money would be in cageing/reinforcing and blingin shocks

Brett, I've got one heck of a builder MJ if you want it. Cheap! 4.0L slightly warmed over, interior is hot! Custom grill, hood, and fenders. Does not start :flame: :D

mad maXJ said:
i would, but it's a long-bed ;)

Chop the sucker. I haven't seen to many mj's for sale in California on autotrader.com and Phil's is cheap and ready to build into what you want it to be. Plus he is local. I know you are very busy and are just getting back to Cali and want to do some rock crawling. I'm just finishing up installing a dana 44 rear axle with 4.56 gears and a detroit to match my dana 30 front with an arb. Let's do some wheeling Brett. :guitar:

steinjeep said:
Chop the sucker. I haven't seen to many mj's for sale in California on autotrader.com and Phil's is cheap and ready to build into what you want it to be. Plus he is local. I know you are very busy and are just getting back to Cali and want to do some rock crawling. I'm just finishing up installing a dana 44 rear axle with 4.56 gears and a detroit to match my dana 30 front with an arb. Let's do some wheeling Brett. :guitar:
yeah, there's no way I have time or money to build something else, maybe next summer.

So you want a Class 7 Baja racer, more power too you. We must maintain jeep superiority. Whoop a long travel sandrail for me buddy. Those dune buggy guys are way too cocky about their toys they need to be put in their place. If your MJ is a 4x4 it may be a good idea to run it in just 2 hi when pre- running, the last thing you want is the wheels on one end too spin faster than the other, you'll really hurt that poor little 231. If you can make it to Ensenada for the Baja 500, I'm sure you see a few of what your thinking of.A 3 link in the back with King Coils would be cool on an MJ too

Back