• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

[sarcasm] DANG, I shoulda known my FRONT LEAVES wouldn't flex [/sarcasm]

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
511942_17_full.jpg

the rear tire is about 36 inches above level, and the flex is limited right now by the 10 inch travel shocks in the rear, which should be swapped for some 14s soon.

brett

haha! i think it's funny that when i posted that i'm swapping to front leafs everyone and their mother jumped in the thread and said i was stupid for doing it. now that you all see that it actually does work pretty well, you're keeping quiet :laugh3:

(i'm still not saying they're better than coils and a good link setup, but you have to admit, they work pretty well)

Leaf springs are for covered wagons.

CRASH

mad maXJ said:
haha! i think it's funny that when i posted that i'm swapping to front leafs everyone and their mother jumped in the thread and said i was stupid for doing it. now that you all see that it actually does work pretty well, you're keeping quiet :laugh3:

(i'm still not saying they're better than coils and a good link setup, but you have to admit, they work pretty well)

How does flexing them show that they work well?

Looks great. I'm going back to my 4"yj springs in the front instead of the 2.5 springs I'm trying now. Going to get the good ride and better flex back.

Jes said:
How does flexing them show that they work well?
i know they may not flex quite as well as coils, and do not control axle wrap quite as well, but the point is they work way better than everyone made it sound like.

imporant thing for me was it was cheap and easy and 90% as effective

oh, and the other thing, it feels so much more stable than any short-arm or radius arm setup I've ever been in, but I've never been in a rig with a well done 3 or 4 link front.

it has it's pros and cons (like everything), but for my budget, it's ALL GOOD

mad maXJ said:
imporant thing for me was it was cheap and easy and 90% as effective

How is your steering?
I couldent get full clock steering without adding a ram.

Steering and steering clearance is one of the main reasons I want to remove my fornt leafs and go coils again. I also have busted two Main leafs due to broke spring clamps, that has been a hassle but thats my fault not the leafs...

My rear leafs keep getting warped and sagged, I have lots of free spares, but Im just tired of fixing them. Thinking 4link in back now also.

ashman, i didn't get full steering until I did cross-over steering, now it is great. I plan on hydro-assist soon anyway. no problem with the leafs, they're BDS springs which are military wrapped on both ends, have 2 clamps per leaf (the right kind), and have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I'm thinking about 3 or 4 linking the rear also, very easy to deal with on an MJ, unlike the front.

JnJ, I haven't really wheeled it yet; CRASH and I will be putting in my front gears when I get back to Cali in 2 weeks. I have messed around a bit in 2wd (with locker) and it does great, and I've jumped it too :D

Everyone likes whatever their running. How often have you seen someone write "I just completed xxxxxx mod to my rig and it really sucks !"

:) :)

Goatman said:
Everyone likes whatever their running. How often have you seen someone write "I just completed xxxxxx mod to my rig and it really sucks !"

:) :)
i'm man enough to admit it when it sucks.

the 5 speed with 3.55 gears SUCKED and I didn't deny it, the 5-6 inch lift with short-arms SUCKED and I didn't deny it, not having money to spend on an Atlas, alloy shafts, and coilovers SUCKS and I don't deny it.

I never said it is ideal, but it sure does work great for a super tight budget. therefore, I'm thrilled :D

Rubber on the ground is what propels us. More times than not, what's between the rubber and the frame means very little as far as rock crawling goes. When you start talking about ride and handling, now things make much more of a difference.

I like good solutions that fit someone's budget, that's what building and wheeling, and having fun, is really about. I don't like when every budget, low tech modification is touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread. No reason the leaves shouldn't work well.....CJ's, Toyota's, and plenty of other vehicles have been running them for years.

Have fun, :)

the 5 speed with 3.55 gears SUCKED and I didn't deny it, the 5-6 inch lift with short-arms SUCKED and I didn't deny it, not having money to spend on an Atlas, alloy shafts, and coilovers SUCKS and I don't deny it.

try driving 6" w/ shorts, 3.55's and a auto to nevada and back with 33's. Long arms still cost 3 times what I have in lifting the front. Not saying I wouldnt rather have a nice long arm set up....front and rear...but leaves work... even on the trail

Goatman said:
Have fun, :)

Yup, that's the idea :clap:

yellowxj said:
try driving 6" w/ shorts, 3.55's and a auto to nevada and back with 33's. Long arms still cost 3 times what I have in lifting the front. Not saying I wouldnt rather have a nice long arm set up....front and rear...but leaves work... even on the trail

my previous setup was even worse than that, at least an auto has the torque convertor, I had: Peugeot 5 speed, D30 with 260x joints, D35, both open diffs, 3.55 gears, 6" with shortarms, and 33" BFG MTs. But hey, it was still fun! just had a lot of potential to turn un-fun at places like Fordyce.

Back