• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid, Stupid mistake

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I just put my hood back on, but I forgot to hook up my realease linkage, and some one closed it, and now I can't pop it back open. Does any one have any ideas??

the_bandit87 said:
Ok, I just put my hood back on, but I forgot to hook up my realease linkage, and some one closed it, and now I can't pop it back open. Does any one have any ideas??

2 SUGGESTIONS. 1.) use the fire departments can oppener, or 2.) I believe this happened to someone else and they had to remove the headlights on both side and weasel the lataches on both sides. Either way its a pain in the ass.

Good Luck.!

'87 XJ? Does yours have the two catches on the corners of the hood, or the sigle catch in the center?

the_bandit87 said:
and some one closed it
Admit it... it was you :D

I think I remember reading about someone having to remove the lights as well to get to latches, but..... what about fabbing some sort of an L shaped bracket and getting it in through the crevice between the hood and the rest of the body and while pressing on the hood using it to work the latch open? It might be useful for someone with a similar setup to take couple pics and getting them posted so that you can visualize how to get at them.

Kejtar said:
Admit it... it was you :D

I think I remember reading about someone having to remove the lights as well to get to latches, but..... what about fabbing some sort of an L shaped bracket and getting it in through the crevice between the hood and the rest of the body and while pressing on the hood using it to work the latch open? It might be useful for someone with a similar setup to take couple pics and getting them posted so that you can visualize how to get at them.

And when you make it patent IT !

PM me with a few details (mainly, I need to know if it's a 3-latch setup like we have in the States) - all of my Renix XJ's have two cable-operated latches in the corners and a manual latch in the centre. I can work on it from there, if I get a couple days.

Also, I need to know where the cable itself is actually disconnected, so I can see if there are any alternate options...

5-90

Yup, its like Renix XJs in the states (came off the same line in Toledo) it has three latches, the main center latch, and the two springs on either corner. That L shaped one sounds good, but I'm not sure about the headlights, I have them out already, but not the buckets, so I guess I'll give that a try. I might just be able to jam somthing between the hood and the front clip and try to get it open. The cable is taken off where it meets the hood, so there is still a cable that runs to the latches, its just its disconnected from the one that connects to the hood relese in the passenger compartment.

Thanks for the help, I'm going back to screw around with it. I'll probably figure somthing out. Thanks for the help.

Old_man (Tom) from here in Colorado did something along these lines to unlatch his hood; drop him a line as I don't know whether he's normally in this forum.

Yeah I did the same thing, but I can admit to being the one that closed the lid. Anyway, the headlight doesnt need to come out, but the moulding around the headlight does, I think youll find 2 or 3 bolts that attach to the hood releases inside. Once you take those out it will pop up. It took be three hours to figure out how to do it. Trust me you can get the lid up without tearing anything up.

You don't need to make or take anything apart if you don't have a front skid plate. I just had this problem with my 94 XJ. Just reach up from underneath right near the steering box and grab the metal rod that connects the two outer latch mechanism and pull it towards the passenger side. Hood will pop right open. If you have the front skid plate, you will probably have to remove it. I'm only 5'8", so you don't need long arms to reach all the way to the top of the hood from underneath the Jeep.

Good Luck,

Actuually, we tried that too, and we did manage to get the passenger's side to pop like that, but my driver's side latch is really sticky, so we had to unbolt that one. When my grandfather was under it, he pulled the wire that goes to the driver's side latch right out of the latch. So I had to unbolt it. Actually it was alot simpler than it could have been and thinking back on it, we were lucky.

Just unscrew the headlights and the peices around them. That will provide you with two access holes to remove the latches. I just did this on an '87 XJ. Took about 30 minutes, but took some tricky wrenching.

Back