• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB or Detroit. Which one for the front?

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a HP44 out of a Ford for my XJ.

I'm torn between the ARB and the full Detroit.

The Detroit is definitely in my price range, and the saved money can help pay for some Warn shafts. The downfall is the hard steering when in a tight jam or trying to turn the wheels sharply when locked up.

The ARB on the other hand is versatile in the fact that you can dis/re-engage it when necessary. But the added expense is killing me.

I originally bought my XJ, not knowing what I was even getting in to, because of the solid front end. Fewer parts to break reasoning. I'm kind of thinking along those same lines when comparing between the Detroit, (less parts) and the ARB.

What does everybody think? Can the Detroit be lived with, or am I going to hate it enough that I'll regret not getting the ARB?

Thanks folks for some input. And yeah, I did a search, and the information is vague and tedious.

Dan.

Vague and tedious, you must have been reading a Hinkley post!

High traction surfaces like Moab are where the ARB really shines. The Detroit is manageable, especially with a 2wd Low range position in your t-case (more than the cost difference of an ARB). If it were me, I'd save my pennies for a selectable locker.

CRASH

I always run Detroits in my front axles and the steering is manageable unless you're really bound up. And I'm a tightass. That said, I wouldn't mind having an ARB up front if I could part with the coin.
d

Just put another True Trac in. You don't need a front locker.

Hey, I'll sell you mine out of my HP44 for $200. Deal?

Ok. Do the selectable locker. There's a reason you have a limited slip up front right now. Come on, $500 is a rounding error when you have a 9" lift and are custom building axles.

You know what I mean: it's telling your wife you only have $19,000 into your rig when it's really $28,000, because telling her anything over $20K would be grounds for divorce. If you don't have a wife, I can't believe you are even asking this question. It's not like you don't clearly already know exactly what you want :D.

Nay

People weld their diffs because they can't afford spools.

People buy spools because they can't afford Detroits.

People buy Detroits because they can't afford ARB's.

People who know better buy ARB's. ;)

CRASH

CRASH said:
People weld their diffs because they can't afford spools.

People buy spools because they can't afford Detroits.

People buy Detroits because they can't afford ARB's.

People who know better buy ARB's. ;)

CRASH

that is the best and most true thing i have ever heard. that is what is going into both of my d44s that im building

I'd go Detroit. I've been running ARB's for about 10 years now (in 2 different rigs) & they've always worked well & been problem free, I just can't be bothered turning them on & off anymore.
Not to mention that the compressor adds a good 15lbs.
Paul

Paul S said:
I'd go Detroit. I've been running ARB's for about 10 years now (in 2 different rigs) & they've always worked well & been problem free, I just can't be bothered turning them on & off anymore.
Paul

Damn Paul,

You and your weight thing! Are you Jeepanorexic?

What you have a trailer now you don't need to air up. :rolleyes:

hinkley

Paul S said:
Paul

And detroit have got to be heavier than a welded diff by at least 10 or 12 ounces.

Open diffs are lightest of all.

CRASH

It's all about the aluminum spool! We could build an ox out of titanium. How's that for penny pinching :shocked:

I say detroit. nothing wrong with em. everyone is gung-ho for ARB's. I like the "set it and forget it" bit and I go all over the place... when I wheel.
How many competition rigs run ARB's ?

Nay said:
If you don't have a wife, I can't believe you are even asking this question. It's not like you don't clearly already know exactly what you want :D.

Nay
Wife, 2 kids, 2 car payments, 2 mortgages, union dues, and my XJ habit.
I want the ARB, I think, but what it takes to do an ARB, I can do the Detroit and Warn axles.

I'll probably do the ARB, but that will put off finishing it until probably next Summer. Detroit, and I'll make JV this Thanksgiving again. Tough decision! :dunno:

Dan.

Rawbrown said:
How many competition rigs run ARB's ?

How many comp rigs are driven as daily drivers?

:D

hinkley

BTW ARB doesn't have the sponsorship program the Detroit has either. :D

Back