• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sylvania Xenarc HID Sealed Beam Upgrade

Shawninsicily

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, has anyone used this type of light? I'm looking to upgrade the stock lights on my '89. I have found them for: Regular price: $749.00 Sale price: $299.00. Any idea why they would be over half off? Are they worth the money, or would an IPF upgrade be money better spent? Thanks for your time.

Shawninsicily said:
Hi, has anyone used this type of light? I'm looking to upgrade the stock lights on my '89. I have found them for: Regular price: $749.00 Sale price: $299.00. Any idea why they would be over half off? Are they worth the money, or would an IPF upgrade be money better spent? Thanks for your time.

I have been a fan of european-spec (E-code) H4 lenses for approx 4 years... Both Hella and IPF make good stuff. The jury is still out whether I like the Hella or IPF beam pattern better. I 'think' the Hella may be a tad sharper, but I've yet to do a side-by-side comparison.

Latest setup on my DD is (all IPF stuff) H4 lenses, 170-100 bulbs, upgrade harness. I've been running these since 12-03. I inspected and GB Oxgarded the bulb terminals last weekend: Absolutely NO signs of overheating on the plugs or the rubber weather boots.

For my money, I like the higher-wattage/shorter-lived Hella or IPF halogen better than the IPF "Magic J" or Xenon H4s. YMMV.

I suspect those Xenarcs were in high supply/low demand at full retail... thus the deeply discounted (?wondering about the markup?) price. They're still a bit much for my tastes, but way closer to a point of agreement than at $750.

Who is selling them for $299 ???

If they are true HID then they will be better then any IPF or HElla unless you go to an equivlant HID system. Sounds like a good deal to me for HID lamps.

Weasel said:
If they are true HID then they will be better then any IPF or HElla unless you go to an equivlant HID system. Sounds like a good deal to me for HID lamps.

Yea, thats a good price, wonder if the lenses are any good or if they are the typical dot/sae type lenses that are more flood lights than anything else... the other question is, where do you get replacement lenses and the cost of them as well as the bulbs. At least the H4's are available worldwide. Going to look around and see if one of the parts stores has one in stock to look at or more information...

I would imagine that the lenses and bulbs would be fairly standard and that if you did need a replacement one from any HID system would work.

And these are sealed so you have to replace the bulb and the lens at the same time. I think all HID systems are this way.

I know I'm old-fashioned, and I don't have long, empty highways where a long-throw driving beam is of any use, but personally I just can't justify throwing that kind of money into headlights. The stock halogens have carried me for 300,000 miles and I haven't yet encountered a situation in which I've said "Damn, I need more light!"

Around here, it's too common to have headlights broken by stones tossed up by other vehicles. It's cheapest to be able to walk into any Wal-Mart and buy an off-the-shelf OEM replacement. Next time around I might try the Sylvania SilverStars, but if one does get broken it can still be replaced with an OEM type lamp for under 10 clams, anywhere in the country.

The other side of the coin is that EVERYONE around here, including the people who have them, hates to see a vehicle with HID lights coming the other way. The light is too bright, and either the beam pattern is wrong or they aren't aimed correctly, but they are almost always blinding -- even when dimmed.

The vehicles with factory HID's are usually ok, but yes some of the other cars with added can be really bright.

I do have the need more more light and am always wishing for more. We have lots of empty long roads around here that are perfect for aux. lighting.

Weasel said:
I do have the need more more light and am always wishing for more. We have lots of empty long roads around here that are perfect for aux. lighting.

Agreed. I delivered an XJ out your way last summer. If I were out there, though, I wouldn't mess around with trying other headlights. I'd install a pair of good driving lights and call it a day (or night).

Here's my take...

First, I just can't stand those damn blue headlights. I think it's a psychological/ego thing - but I find they are consistently mis-aimed by whoever has them. Even when they're OEM, I think someone has taken a screwdriver to them, turned them upwards a bit, as if to say "See what I've got!"

Second - how available and how much are the bulbs? Sealed beam or composite, I don't see a whole lot of bulbs about - I see H4's all over the place.

Third - what is the pattern like? I spend a lot of time on mountain roads out here, and I like the pattern I get from my E-codes or my wife's HVP's, and the sub-$10 price point for spare bulbs in whatever power range I like is a big plus. I tend to keep a couple sets for each of us on hand for just that reason.

It's minimal work to install an upgrade harness for the higher-powered E-codes, and only a little more for a DIY job. I haven't any complaints about bulb life, even on my 90/130's. And, it's good to know that I can grab a spare H4 bulb, or even drop in another H6054 in a pinch, without any trouble at all.

Plus, if I take a rock, it's a $40 tag for the new housing. Any idea what a repple HID will set you back?

IMO, overall advantage goes to the E-Code/Hella Vision Plus setup. Besides, it cost me considerably less than $300 to do BOTH XJ's that have them here!

www.rallylights.com - Susquehanna MotorSports. That's where I get my lights, and I've no complaints about their service, either.

5-90

Eagle said:
Agreed. I delivered an XJ out your way last summer. If I were out there, though, I wouldn't mess around with trying other headlights. I'd install a pair of good driving lights and call it a day (or night).

Yep, I did upgrade my headlights to IPF's just cause they were broken but next is either a set of IPF 960's or Lightforce's.

And HID's are not blue, they should be pure white(maybe a tint of blue or purple but not overwhelming). Those are a special ricer/fad lamp.

Don't do the HID!!! not worth it. The beam pattern is horrible. The main reason is that the low beam not using the whole reflector, and the High Beam is a seperate reflector with a halogen bulb. I have some data here if I can find it. I got a pair at greately reduced price about a year ago, and was convinced by data not to install them.
Do what woody said, you will be much happier with spending much less and getting better performance.

I am actually an OEM lighting engineer if that helps me be credible at all.

That being said, I will sell them for 250 shipped new in box if you still want them.

i would say buy the HID! don't know much about sylvania, but i run real HID's on my 99 XJ. its one of the best ugrades i've ever made. on an older XJ, i don't know if its really worth it... anyways, i run Hella housings and philips ballasts and converters. i actually went thru the audi dealer on this one, so i could get as visionly close to my dad's lights as possible. they look great, and really light up the night! how often do you see an XJ with real HID lighting! do and don't think twice

brandon

Yes, I run Hella E-code lights w/Osram (Phillips) H4 90/100W bulbs and I love them. A friend in the lighting dept at DC Tech Center brought my 2000XJ into the lab gave me several sets of bulbs and helped me align the beams to European specs.....Real nice cut-off pattern and with my Hella driving lights (replaced factory fogs) and my headlight harness upgrade....I have plenty of light now! :D I live off 3 miles of wooded, dirt road and NEED the light because of all the deer and other critters that think they're pedestrians at night :bunny: :pig: :eek:wl: :jester:
I added a set of 6" dia.130W pencil beam lamps and now I can have daylight wherever I go :idea: :sunshine:
If you buy the Phillips HID kit, you will still have H3 Hi-beams and what if you "break" your lamp....it is supposed to be specially designed for the bulbs and ballasts that you are using ($$$). Also my friend told me that all of DC's HID's are using projector lens technology to help A) control the light output and put it on the road where it belongs B) keep it from diffusing all over the place and blinding oncoming traffic.

BLUTO :sunshine:

you know i just spent 50 bucks (10% military discount :D ) on a pair of Sylvania Silverstars and lets just say that I am extremely satisfied with them and told myself why spend several 100's when these still do an excellant job, I would rather spend the money on something like maybe fog lights or perhaps grill guard or maybe a lift kit? And oh yeah you can't forget the engine mods :D .. my 2 cents...

I got a set of Sylvania Silverstars also. They're really nice headlights, and I have mine pointed upwards a little bit. They throw some good light and have a very wide beam. Great lights and they're not expensive at all.

Back