• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't shut off. Ignition switch?

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Basically I turn the key off, the accessories die and the jeep keeps running. I have to pop the hood and unplug the CPS to get it to stop running. Sometimes, for a week or more, turning the key will stop it and then all of the sudden this will pop up again. Now, occasionally, it won't start.
Ive searched and run through tons of threads and figured its my ignition switch. Problem is that I don't know how to replace it. From what I gathered its on the top side of the lower part of the steering column? Is it exposed? Some threads say something about pulling dash panels? What tools are needed? will I need to pull the steering wheel?
Sorry for all the questions, but I left my Haynes manual at home. Oh, and its a 93 w/the tilt column.

Last edited:
If you have air bags, first thing you'll have to do is disable it. Reach in through the side window and pry the cover off the top of the airbag unit. Use an 8mm socket to unscrew the bolt all the way, till it stops. I have the Haynes here and can scan it in for you if you send your e-mail to me in a pm I'll send you the scanned page. Rest of page reads:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Switch is located on the lower end of the steering column and is connected by an actuating rod to the key lock.

3. Take off the lower dashboard trim panel.

4. Set the key-lock in the off position.

5. Remove the two screws holding the switch to the steering column and disconnect the rod.

6. Unplug the harness from the switch.

Depends which column you have on reinstall as the tilt positions are the exact opposite of the non-tilt..

Hold the switch in position, move the slider to the acc. position. Connect the rod back into the slider hole. Install the screws finger tight. Set the ignition switch to the acc. position. Slide the switch down to take up any slack while holding the key switch in the acc. position. Tighten the screws. Plug in the connector and put the dash back together.

When you look at the new switch with the plug-in facing you. Acc. is all the way to the left on a standard column, all the way to the right on a tilt.

Back