• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibrations. Need Advice

jre29

NAXJA Forum User
I have been livin on the edge with a 1" TC drop and I had no vibes until 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I went wheelin with a couple of buddies of mine and the next day I started feeling and hearing a vibration coming from the front end. This vibration only happens between 45-55 mph. I had the wheels balanced and I checked the u-joints and they were fine with no play in them.

Could this be driveline vibes rearing its ugly head? Is it time for a SYE? Or could it be something on the front end?

:huh:

check everything: joints, control arm bushings, driveshaft for missing balance weights and or scuff marks and crossmember for "reshaping" :D (by latter I mean check if you didn't nail it on something and get it crooked)..... Oh... also lets not forget alignment as well :D (do the line and measure between the tires front and back)

The 45 -55 MPH range eliminates driveline & u-joint type problems. This is going to be related to the front steering/suspension. The most common problem after wheeling would be balance and toe-in changes. Balance can be thrown off by losing weights or packing mud inside the wheels. If you had a good dynamic balance done afterwards, that should leave toe-in changes as the likely culprit. One other possiblility to check is excessive play or wear on the trackbar joint at the frame end and drag link at the pitman arm end.

MaXJohnson said:
The 45 -55 MPH range eliminates driveline & u-joint type problems. This is going to be related to the front steering/suspension. The most common problem after wheeling would be balance and toe-in changes. Balance can be thrown off by losing weights or packing mud inside the wheels. If you had a good dynamic balance done afterwards, that should leave toe-in changes as the likely culprit. One other possiblility to check is excessive play or wear on the trackbar joint at the frame end and drag link at the pitman arm end.

What he said :lecture:
:yelclap:

I'd just like to add. When you have big old nasty tires, they wobble more as they wear. How large are your tires and how many miles on them?

Kevin

Last edited:
Sorry, I have a 2000 XJ w/ RE 3.5", 31" BFG TA KO w/ 15x8 AR Bajas w/ 3.75 bs.

Back