• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone review my plans?

LeftCoastLax

NAXJA Forum User
So here is what my plan is, I am looking at a under $3k XJ, 4wd, 4.0, hopefully with the d44 rear and hp30 front (so between 87 and 91 i guess?). I'm looking into a 3" lift kit with 31" tires (before you tell me to eat poop and do a search, hear me out, I've done my research on the search):

My plan is basically:

Rusty 3" Kit (full leaf packs) w/o shocks
DT 3000 Shocks
RE Trackbar (non HD)
Homemade Disconnects

Now, i have a couple questions regarding this plan.

1) Are there any other CHEAP 3" lift kits that are FULL leaf replacements, I know about RE, but they seem a little expensive for what I'm looking at.
2) How long do the DT3000 shocks need to be? Does anyone have eyelet to eyelet measurements? I ask because i obviosly dont have access to a jeep as of right now, or else i would have the measurements myself.
3) For the trackbar, does anyone recommend the HD trackbar? I figure since im only going 3", i could get away with their regular one, even though ive heard of clunking from the weaker RE trackbar do to the jam nut being weak or something like that...is that the truth?
4) What kind of gas mileage do you guys get with 31's? This is going to be driven mostly on street, but i will be wheeling moderately.
5) Do rustys rear packs ALWAYS give more than 3", what if im looking strictly for 3"?
6) My last question is, what is the deal with shims? I had a ZJ so i never dealt with shims or angles of the leaf springs, in fact, im a little scared to deal with leaves since this is the first time i've worked with them. Coils seem so much easier ;)

Thanks for the help, i hope im not being too much of a newb, i figure these are some valid questions and i've done a couple searches on here and JU. Cant wait to get into an XJ

Patrick

well, this is A strong post for being your first one, but since your name is also patrick, I think Ill help you out. DO A SEARCH!! nah, I wont be that mean hehe.

To answer your questions to the best of my little knowledge...

1) I dont know of any cheap replacements for leaf's, you have to pay to play...You might want to try to fab it up yourself if you want to be inexpensive. Getting coils in the rear requires some fab work (4 link/etc..) Email me if you need more details on this...

2)what shocks are you talking about, front or rear. I know you say 'eyelet to eyelet' so im assuming the rear, but please clarify..

3)for a 3" lift you probably dont even need to replace the TB, you can get away w/ a bracket if your trying to cut down on costs...

4)Thats up to you and how heavy your foot is. With 31's, are you going to re-gear? With a 4.0 I get about 18 to the gallon, but it all depends on how you drive...city/hwy/etc..

5)Never messed w/ runty's leafs, so Im not sure. Didnt you want to go with coils anyways?

6)Shims are meant to get your pinion/driveshaft angles correct. Once you lift your XJ (especially w/ leafts) It might throw your pinion off, causing you to have vibe's. This is where the shims come-to-play, You can use them to adjust.

Im tired now, Goodnight...

-Red

I went with the RE 3.5" Super Flex kit which isn't really all that expensive and actually is almost a full 4" lift. It has great flex and my 31's tuck really nice. I'll be upgrading to the 5.5 Long Arm next year . This year I'm dropping in a set of Dana 44's with 4:56 gearing and ARB's. At first I thought I'd be happy with the smaller lift since I didn't wheel much. Now I wish I had done the full 6" lift. Buy as much QUALITY lift that you can afford. Not sure about other kits but mine required no trimming, had no driveline vibration and has performed flawlessly.

I don't track mileage but I do get about 220 miles per tank full. That's with a bored TB from www.JeepersandCreepers.com, stock gearing, ARB FIPK kit, a high flow muffler and 31" Dueler MT's. I expect my mileage to go way down once I gear down to 4:56 and slap on 33's.

FYI, the last year you will see a factory Dana 44 in the rear of an XJ is 89. Most of them were put in 87 as I recall, at least thats where I have seen the most.

-Scott

sintax said:
FYI, the last year you will see a factory Dana 44 in the rear of an XJ is 89. Most of them were put in 87 as I recall, at least thats where I have seen the most.

-Scott

The dana website shows them going to 93', but I've never seen anything past 89. Mine is an 87 as well.

Kevin

Back