• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end woes

rngrfrd2000

NAXJA Forum User
my dana 35 with a true track clutch locker is a little off since i rebuild it. i replaced all bearings and seals. i torqued the pinion nut to spec and checked backlash everything was good...but after some miles on the rear it wants to bind-up when i come to a stop (coasting very slowly), its fine coasting above 5 mph and no vibes, doesnt seem to have any other problems, could it be the gear oil...(valvoline) should i add some synthetic limited slip in it? do these rears need a little time to free up?

Last edited:
I thought the tru trac's need the gear additive ??

Time out

The TrueTrac LSD (manufactured by Tractech, of Detroit Locker fame) is a gear-type LSD, not a clutch type. It does not require limited slip additive. The OEM (and replacement) Trac-Lok is a clutch type LSD and it requires limited slip additive ("friction modifier"). ALL limited slips that have clutches require friction modifier.

What do you have, a TrueTrac or a clutch type differential?

Not sure, no mention of it on tractechs site. My auburn warns against using synthetics, recommends 80w90 hypoid with either ford or GM additive. Not familiar with the 35 but you sure you torqued everything in there to specs. Me, I'd pull the cover and get a better look before the lube comes out looking like silver sprinkles... I'll be popping my cover next week or two when the new gears get here and I get them in but I would for sure look it over and not wait for someone here to make a suggestion and keep driving it... something seems to be binding..

Back