• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete electrial shutdown while driving

JeepJeep

NAXJA Forum User
This started happening last night.
I'm in "D" and while accelerating, it will hesitate like it's missing. Basically, everthing starts to shut down, but it's being caused by what I think is a short somewhere.

But I can put it in "N" and rev it up and nothting happens.

Has this come up with anyone else, and what would be a good place to look for this "short"

Thanks

JeepJeep,

I have a 88 XJ and with your XJ not much younger than mine I would look at changing out the ignition switch. It is located on the steering column. I am not talking the lock cylinder.

The ignition switch allows things to be powered, they are known to wear out. They run $8-$15 depending on where you buy it. I picked up a switch in a borg-warner box and paid less than $10 and it had a lifetime warranty.

I had a buddy over who had done the switch replacement before. On my 88 I used a 8, 9 and 10 mm ignition wrenches. If you don't own a set time to buy them at sears.

It took us 2 hours and we were just taking out time. I think it a 1 hour job in the labor book. My buddy is of the opinion on that switch at 125K miles you should change it out just a a preventive maintenance measure.

There are millions of cars, mostly GM, with that switch so it should be in stock an any parts store.

If you want tips on disassembly do a search on here there were some posts recently, they may be on the old board just do a search on "ignition switch". If not repost and I'll try to tell you what you need to know about the job.

Martin

this sounds exactly like what my 88 just started doing!! I will check the ignition switch tomorrow. I have allready run through the entire electrical system one fuse at a time with dc tester light in hand!

Lights, radio, go out?

If you mean that the dash lights, radio, etc go out then the ignition sw is the likely problem.
If you only get a light throttle skip at 1800 - 2000 RPM you probably have a CPS going bad and need to replace that before it quits completely (it will, at the worst possible time)
Crankshaft position sensor - speed sensor

Back