• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found an 8.8, please give me advice:

BigNutt

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 2000 XJ with 29spline 8.25.

I am about to go 31s or 33s. I don't have all the money in the world and the only reason I don't go 33s is the price for install and the geas themselves ($1k)

Anywyas I found a guy selling a 1997 Exploder 8.8 w/ 4k miles on it. It has 4.10s, new brakes, pads, ebrake cable, ane all brackets welded on. It is already on an XJ and he wants to swap for my axle and cash. He said $650 + my axle. Now I think thats alot of cash for an 8.8, but its bolt on ready. I am thinking more like $400-$500 + my axle.

Thing is I will have to drive 5 hours away to meet him and we are going to switch right there. He will help and has all the air tools to make it easy, but I am wondering also what could go wrong? I hate to just bolt up an axle and drive a looong distance back to the house. I just was thinking of the negatives....

What do you think is a fair price?

You will need a slightly shorter shaft because the 8.8 has a long pinion than the 8.25 I believe, you will also need the Spicer flange that mates a 1310 u-joint to the 8.8.
Brake lines?

It may be close on the drive shaft length. I would get measurement first unless he is going to swap you shaft (if he has a TW SYE too).
Either way you will need the Spicer flange (part # 221379) toadapt the 1310 u-joint to the 8.8.
standard.jpg

One thing to think about on the 8.8 swap...
I almost did this swap, but changed my mind after talking to several folks here. The 8.8 pumpkin is HUGE, and you'll LOSE a good bit of ground clearance if you DON'T go to 33s or bigger. I knew that 32s would be as big as I'll ever go, because I'm not into using a sazall on a 2001!:eek:
My 29-spine 8.25 will be PLENTY for 32s. For me, an 8.8 would be overkill, and would be a negative in the clearence department. I'm guessing the guy wants to swap because he's selling the XJ, or he's tired of dragging the pumpkin around over stuff. Take a good look at the bottom of the pumpkin for scrapes and such!

if he's already got it on an xj, then it probably comes with the adapter. just look at the picture already posted, if it looks like that you're ok. as far as benifit, the 8.8 is quite a bit stronger than the 8.25. but the biggest advantage is the rear discs. i would try to talk him down a bit and go for it.

i did this swap and lost about 3/4" clearance until i put on bigger tires. but i think it was worth it.

thompson97 said:
if he's already got it on an xj, then it probably comes with the adapter.

Is that the same adapter than you need for an RE hack-n-tap or Currie SYE flange?:confused:

BillR said:
Is that the same adapter than you need for an RE hack-n-tap or Currie SYE flange?:confused:

No, take a look at the pic above. There is no "yoke" on an 8.8 that'll accept the u-joint end of the driveshaft. You can see there are 4 bolts that hold that adapter to the flange at the end of the pinion. You need that in order to run a "standard" driveshaft w/ u-joint end.

Back