• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel

USAtruck6

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. When I hit a bump at over 40mph and I'm on a turn, the steering wheel vibrates horribly while it jolts back and forth. I replaced a steering link and stabilizer. It imporved greatly but it steel vibrates bad. Especially when I go over 50mph just driving straight. I haven't replaced shocks yet, but I'm about to. My main problem still is when I'm on the highway doing a curve in the road and I hit a bump, the jeep gets out of control. I'm up for any ideas. Thanks!

I STILL LOVE THIS DAMN JEEP! XJ'S ROCK!!!!!

[QUOTE/]USAtruck6]My main problem still is when I'm on the highway doing a curve in the road and I hit a bump, the jeep gets out of control. I'm up for any ideas. Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

i have the same problem in my 2000 sport. I oversteer in the curve and straighten it out before I hit the bump. hope this works! :dunce:

It sounds like you have what's called "death wobble". Do the following:

1. check ALL steering linkages and joints for excess play. This is best done by climbing under the Jeep while a helper moves the steering wheel back and forth about 1/4 turn. Visually examine ALL joints, and place hand around EACH joint feeling for relative motion between the two parts of the joint.
2. check the track bar for play, using technique from above
3. check the control arms for play
4. jack up the wheels and check the ball joints for play. This is done by placing a lever under the tire while jacked up, and trying to lever up on the wheel. If it moves, you have ball joint or wheel hub play. Visual inspection of the ball joints and hub from the back side of the wheel, while a helper is levering, will isolate this
5. if all of this reveals nothing amiss, get your tires balanced by someone who knows what they are doing. Tire balance is fairly critical on an XJ.

Is this jeep lifted at all? Might need a longer (drop) pitman arm.

Maybe just needs a front end alignment.

What shape are front tires in? If you rotate them to the back does it go away? If so, you probably have tire with sperated tread. It might also show up while braking.

Definitely do the checks listed above for trackbar, ball joints, etc..

bburge

thanks for all info...i've replaced the track bar already and all linkage. the jeep is stock height. i do thinkt the tires need to be replaced as well as a front end alignment. thats next...thanks again all!

Back