• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming fenders

jeep5.JPG

My trouble is that when I turn and flex any the front tires hit the bottom of the fender where it curves under. There was a corner that I bent and hammered in so it wouldn't rub so bad, but it still does. Also in the rear, it will rub if I flex very much. My Jeep is a 97 and I am thinking about cutting the front at the line above the holes that held the fender flares on. I want to do this so that there will still be a small lip at the top of the cut. In the rear, I heard of someone cutting small pieces out and bending parts up. Anyone ever done it like this?

I did my rear just like the article above describes, but I didn't make as many small cuts, I made as few cuts as possible. For the front I cut off all but the last bend, then I bent it back to create a folded edge that wouldn't cut the tires. The front turned out kind of ugly but the flares cover it up. I chopped the stock flares for all 4 corners, drilled new holes, and mounted them up higher. I modified the stock metal fastener pieces for the chopped flares so they're still really sturdy, and bolted them through the new holes. I actually used nuts and bolts for the rear too because I just didn't think self-tappers would be sturdy enough. It was a pain but they're not coming off.

Just cut the fenders. I wouldn't recomend bending them, it will cause chipping. I just took a dye grinder and cut all the way around mine leaving just one little lip. I also masked off where I was cutting and used a thin tipped Sharpie and just follow the line with the grinder.

I'm at 5" with 33x10.50s. I call this Phase II of my trim. The flares have not been moved up.
DSCN0491.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

I have added 1.5" to the bumpstops on top of the 3" bumpstop spacers that came with the RE kit. The tire rubs at the top of the flare the same time it hits the bumpstops. Phase III is coming soon when I finally make up my mind how.

Back