• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing EGR?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a way to gain a little more power and my EGR valve is periodically malfunctioning. Is there a way to remove it without adversly affecting the engine? If I understand correctly all this valve does is put hot air into your intake, wich is the opposite of what I have been trying to do with my intake mods, so I "should" be able to remove it. If anyone has done this, I would apreciate any input. Thanks

There is no EGR per se' on the later Jeeps. I do not know when this separate EGR was eliminated exactly however. The later use serious exhaust valve overlap to do the deed. I would advise NOT to eliminate whatever you have. It does a really good job of controlling engine destroying detonation. I think because of the constant repair some EGR systems require is one reason the Jeep engineers changed to this system. Too bad they didn't keep the Knock Sensor though-

The HESCO performance kit supplies a 3/8" dorman plug which is inserted in the heat tube; blocking the flow of exhaust gas into the manifold. But the EGR does not affect performance - doesn't work at full throttle.

The renix years were the only years with the EGR. I blocked mine off with a piece of aluminum can cut to match the hole and sandwiched between the EGR and the intake. I destroyed my EGR tube when I put on my header so i did this to fix it.

Be aware that if you live in Ada county (and possibly Canyon County if they enact the emissions testing) that you will need to have the EGR stuff in place to pass the visual inspection. Doesn't necessarily have to work, just has to be there. I don't remember for sure what the EGR is doing at 2500 rpm, so check that out before you disable it to ensure that you won't have problems passing the test.

Of course if you don't live in those two counties you have no worries.

Back