• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 behind a AMC 304?

strokedwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Don't flame me to hard, but it is an XJ trans. we are using, we're just putting it in a 101" wheelbase CJ5. Anyone ever done this? any help or thoughts would be appreciated. (we will be using a 23 spline AW4, D300 t-case, not flipped)I know we will need to run the computer and harness, main questions concern the flex plate and T-case adapter.Thanx

Dunno about the flex plate. What I remember about the AMC engines from stick shift racing days is that the V-8s used an 8" deep bell housing and the I-6s used a 6-1/2" deep bellhousing. The reason was that the I-6 was a longer engine and it extended farther back than the V-8, so using the different bell housings put the tranny pretty much in the same place for both engines.

I believe the bell housing bolt pattern is the same for both the I-6 and V-8 after 1970 or 1971, so the AW-4 should bolt up to your 304 block. You'll be making custom linkages anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Let us know how it works out.

you do realize that an AW4 tranny in stock form will not live forever behind a massive V8....anything can be done, but that just seems wrong in the long haul- hate to install something, just to pull it out because its broke....

the AW4 seems to last pretty well behind stroked 4.0s, which would be about the same power as a stockish 304. I don't know if you're planning on building the 304...?

the AW4 is a very reliable tranny, there are hardly any auto trannies that in stock form will frequently last over 200k miles.

strokedwoody said:
Don't flame me to hard, but it is an XJ trans. we are using, we're just putting it in a 101" wheelbase CJ5. Anyone ever done this? any help or thoughts would be appreciated. (we will be using a 23 spline AW4, D300 t-case, not flipped)I know we will need to run the computer and harness, main questions concern the flex plate and T-case adapter.Thanx

4.0/aw-4/231 in a longnose cj-6.....

Cfest2001XX.jpg

(picture posted with permission from original photographer, no animals were harmed in the posting of this photograph)

Ed in North Ga. said:
you do realize that an AW4 tranny in stock form will not live forever behind a massive V8....anything can be done, but that just seems wrong in the long haul- hate to install something, just to pull it out because its broke....
The 304 is a small-valve head, carbureted engine. I'm pretty certain a stroked 4.0L (4.7L) puts out more power and more torque than even a mildly built 304, so I think the tranny will be up to the task.

Ya`ll will get no kickback from me on the reliability of the AW4- I had one for years, and over 300K with nary a problem other than the usual clogged filter- they are -in my opinion- the best tranny for the job in an xj behind Mr 4.0.

What got me thinking, was the 304 I had in my CJ5. That engine would out pull my 4.0MJ anyday of the week. It felt mucho strong compared to the 4.0 I have now. Thats why I was nixing it- I just didnt think it would hold that much torque- of coarse, I have no idea what was done to that 304- I got it "in vehicle" and never dug into it- it ran like stink!

But I`ll bow to the masses that know better- its a bit out of my area.

as a sidebar though- how about the TF999 tranny? its a bit smaller i think-
the wundubar setup would be the th400mated to the 300- but thats kind of hard to do in a 101 wheelbase....extra small shaft anyone?

Ed in North Ga. said:
my stroker dyno'd at approx. 258hp my tranny has never given problems, I ride with guys that have average running V8's that break t400's on a regular basis. and not to spread bad info..seems like I've read the aw4 was good to go to about 400hp.if i recall correctly. But, nice pic beez.....no help, but nice pic

I say that it would work:)

I also happen to have a 23 spline output AW-4 from my 1991 XJ that is for sale:D PM for details.

AARON

a stock 304 never made more power than any 4.0 that the AW4 was found behind. it will work fine, the flex plate shouldnt be an issue the 304 is internally balanced, just reuse the 304 flex plate. and the bolt pattern is dead on. why are you going with an auto?? just curious

Arakele said:
a stock 304 never made more power than any 4.0 that the AW4 was found behind. it will work fine, the flex plate shouldnt be an issue the 304 is internally balanced, just reuse the 304 flex plate. and the bolt pattern is dead on. why are you going with an auto?? just curious
Don't want to start the whole manual vs. auto thing.....but for really hard core wheeling in my opinion...there's no beating an auto...

Back